When talking about the economy, many people want to know what the 5 best investments for depression scenarios are. And, although such talk can actually be depressing, hopefully this list will shine some light on investing for the worst of times.
- Food. The best investments for depression era living are heavy on items that meet basic human needs, like food. Invest in personally stocking up on, as well as purchasing the stock of companies that provide, simple, long lasting, food products. Items like soup, flour, canned meats, canned fruits, canned vegetables, jerky, and peanut butter. Some companies that operate in this area include Hormel Foods Corporation and Campbell Soup Company. Also look at stores that provide low-cost foods, stores like Dollar General Corporation, and Aldi’s, if it ever goes public.
- Alcohol. People who have already lost everything else are going to want a few comforts, maybe even Southern Comfort. Alcohol, such as bottles of whiskey, or rum, would make for good battering items, and therefore is worthy of including among the best investments for depression situations. Also, if access to medicine is limited, think back to the Old West, alcohol can be used to sterilize wounds as well as to take the bite off of pain. Beer is also a good investment, according to Benjamin Franklin, “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.” So, as with food, stocking up on alcohol both personally as well as investing in stocks like, Boston Beer Co., Anheuser-Busch InBev, and MillerCoors, will likely prove to be a refreshing investment choice.
- Power. One of the best investments for depression life is power. Not necessarily influence, but the mechanisms that will keep important operations, water pumps, and the all important computer and internet running. This includes traditional power companies, as well as solar and wind powered alternatives, and generators.
- Defense. This is a broad category of the best investments for depression times. This category includes defense manufacturers, commodity suppliers to armed forces, as well as personal defense products including guns and ammo. Desperate times may call many to desperate measures, and since government spending will likely decrease in a depression, so will the number of police officers. Many citizens will likely feel the need to arm themselves. One company to check out is Alliant Techsystems.
- Yourself and Others. While it may sound Pollyanna-ish, to include this entry on a list of best investments for depression life, it is very logical. People, who have an in demand skill, will have something to barter. Invest in your education and training. Mechanical, medical, and electrical skills will likely be in demand. And people do not survive depressions well alone. During a depression you will need a network of people you can trust, for safety, emotional, and bartering reasons. American rugged individualism is great, but there is no reason you can’t be a rugged individual with a network.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.