5 Best Jaguar Sports Cars
The 5 best Jaguar sports cars are beautiful and contain some of the most advanced technology for their time. Of course, these great cars are also almost ridiculously fast.
- Jaguar XK-120. Launched in 1948, this two-seater sports car had a sloped back end and extra long hood. This car was one of the relatively affordable Jaguar cars, making it accessible to people not in the elite class. During its time, the XK-120s 3.4 liter engine was the most powerful in the world. Interestingly, the famous Jaguar sports car was actually created prior to the beginning of World War II, and boasted the original name of SS-120. Needless to say, the “SS” was dropped for a friendlier name. The XK-120 is hailed as one of the best Jaguar sports cars of all time.
- Jaguar 1951 C-type. This sports car was the first with disc-brakes. Only 53 of this sports car were made, and the vehicle won Jaguar victories at Le Mans in 1951 and 1953. For its technology and speed, the C-type is one of the best Jaguar sports cars.
- Jaguar XKE Series 3 V-12. This car, launched in 1971, was a completely new design of the company’s sports cars. Although it retained the raised hood, this was not to accommodate the engine but rather to keep a semblance of tradition in the vehicle. That, however, was where tradition ended: boasting a V-12 engine, this sports car moved faster than any other in the company’s history. Even though the car’s popularity was hampered by the changing trend of drivers wanting luxury more than performance, for its speed the Series 3 is one of the greatest Jaguar sports cars.
- 2010 Jaguar XKR. The most recent version of the Jaguar classic sports car combines performance and luxury. This 5.0 liter, V8 engine sits in a stylishly aerodynamic frame governed by an automatic, stability controlled transmission. How’s that for feeling secure while speeding?
- Jaguar XJ220. Despite sharing the same letters, this car is unrelated to other Jaguar XJ models. Produced during 1994-1996, this sleek Jaguar racing car used its twin, turbocharged V6 engine to hit speeds of 217 mph. While this record was later shattered by a McLaren automobile, the car is nonetheless lightning fast, making it one of the greatest Jaguar sports cars of all time.
Posted on: Dec. 23, 2010