Picking the 5 Best Justin Timberlake songs is a difficult task for any fan. Timberlake, who started as the front-man for the boy bad N*Sync, has become a star in his own right since his debut solo album "Justified". The album made it to #2 on the Billboard top 200 in 2002 according to the official Billboard website. His follow-up album, "FutureSex/LoveSongs", made it to #1 on the Billboard charts in September of 2006.
Since his debut as a solo artist, Justin Timberlake has further gained celebrity exposure and credit by appearing on TV shows such as "SNL" and collaborating with other big name musicians such as Ciara, Timbaland and Rihanna. This further complicates the question of which tracks or singles deserve credit as one of Justin Timberlake’s 5 best songs; the following list is an attempt to give credit to the entire spectrum of Timberlake’s sound, ability, and prowess as a top musician of the decade.
- "Cry Me A River" ("Justified") – This track tells the story of broken promises and betrayal, and was released as a single during the media frenzy of Timberlake’s highly publicized split from long-time love Britney Spears. In a bold move, the accompanying music video features Justin Timberlake walking in the rain and breaking into a home with flashes of a Britney look-alike; this only furthered the speculation that the lyrics referred to the private details of his split with Spears – an element which may have brought the song to elevated success.
- "Rock Your Body" ("Justified") – The follow-up single from Justin Timberlake’s debut album features the catchy dance melodies and smooth vocals which have steadily become a signature style for the musician. The lyrics and video are reminiscent of Michael Jackson’s "Rock With You"; both videos feature the performer in a dark room surrounded by strobe lights or other visual effects.
- "SexyBack" Ft. Timbaland ("FutureSex/LoveSounds") – Accompanied by a fantastic video featuring Timberlake in a James Bond-esque role, this opening single from Justin Timberlake’s second album has the up-tempo, throbbing beat which makes it a club staple. Collaborating with Timbaland led to a funky, sassy single which went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in September of 2006.
- "My Love" ("FutureSex/LoveSounds") – The second single from Justin Timberlake’s second studio album, "My Love" is another example of the throbbing beats quickly becoming his signature sound. Considering Justin Timberlake’s career started with N*Sync, a boy band which featured extensive choreography in their music videos and live performances, it is no wonder that his subsequent albums reflect the dance-friendly roots of this musician. This single is a collaboration between Justin Timberlake and T.I., a rapper with a distinct sound, and the combination of the two performers produces an interesting mix of R&B, Pop, and Rap.
- "What Goes Around / Comes Around" ("FutureSex/LoveSounds") – With similar lyrical and musical elements to the previous single "Cry Me a River", this single from Justin Timberlake’s second album was accompanied by a short film-style music video featuring actress Scarlett Johansson. Fan speculation that this track was another stab at ex Britney Spears led Justin Timberlake to tell MTV news that while "What Goes Around" is about an ex-girlfriend, it is not Britney Spears.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...