Keira Knightley burst onto the movie scene in the early part of this decade and proceeded to crank out these five best Keira Knightley movies. What makes these films stand out is how Knightley hasn’t pigeonholed herself into one kind of role. She’s acted in comedy, romance, drama, thriller, and action-adventure to astonishing acclaim.
- “Love Actually” (2003) As Juliet, this Keira Knightley movie shows her as a bubbly, charming gal who marries Peter (Chiwetel Ejiofor). The two are great together and their wedding ties in several of the film’s many storylines. But what is most notable is that Peter’s best friend Mark (Andrew Lincoln) has been crushing on Juliet for some time but was never able to tell her. Now he must live with the fact that he cannot have Juliet as his own, and Knightley’s exquisite portrayal of the perfect girl-next-door makes Mark’s regret—and the audience’s sadness—complete.
- “Domino” (2005) Without a doubt the most unique Keira Knightley movie, in this one she stars as the title character Domino Harvey, a model and former fashionista who ditches the glamorous life to become a bounty hunter. Knightley pours all her energy and charisma into this role and it shows. She is the movie’s most dynamic force and carries the story on her shoulders.
- “The Jacket” (2005) Knightley is Jackie Prince, a woman who, as a young girl, is helped by Jack Starks (Adrien Brody). As an adult, Jackie is visited by Jack again, only this time he’s transported to the future via a medical experiment in a straitjacket (hence the name of this Keira Knightley movie). Knightley melds so well into this role and takes it on so completely that it is difficult at first to even know it is her. One of the best Keira Knightley movies.
- “Atonement” (2007) Based on the book by Ian McEwan, Cecilia Tallis (Keira Knightley) is the daughter of a wealthy English family who employs a hunky housekeeper, Robbie Turner (James McAvoy), for the summer. When Cecilia and Robbie are caught in the throes of passion by Cecilia’s 13 year-old sister, Briony, the young girl accuses Robbie of raping Cecilia and forces Robbie’s imprisonment. From there, Cecilia and Robbie encounter one another off and on throughout World War II, trying their best to keep their love alive despite the impossibilities that Briony’s actions have placed upon them. Knightley is fantastic in this wartime romance, helping the film garner seven Academy Award nominations.
- “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” (2003) In perhaps her most beloved and famous role, the best Keira Knightley movie stars Knightley as Elizabeth Swan, the daughter of a British governor stationed in colonial Jamaica. She is a feisty, independent sparkplug who takes no guff from any of the men and holds her own. Her romance with Will Turner (Orlando Bloom) is a centerpiece of the film.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.