Have you ever wondered who are the best Marquette basketball players of all time? Marquette has a long history of producing quality basketball teams that are fun and exciting to watch. The Golden Eagles frequently end up playing during March Madness and send players to the professional ranks in the United States and abroad each year. Here are the top five Marquette basketball players:
- Dwyane Wade. Wade was the fifth overall pick by Miami in 2003 and the only Marquette first round draft pick since the 1970s. He was a key part of taking Marquette to the Final Four in 2003. During his time in the NBA, Wade has been one of the most entertaining players to watch and has signed numerous endorsement deals. Wade is a fan favorite throughout the league and shows no signs of retiring any time soon.
- Doc Rivers. Before he started running up and down the sidelines as a coach in a suit, Rivers played for Marquette–then known as the Warriors. He was Atlanta’s second round pick in 1983 and played on several NBA teams for more than ten years before he retired. As a coach, he won Coach of the Year in 2000 and won the NBA Championship in 2008 with the Boston Celtics.
- Walter Downing. This center from Illinois was a High School All-American before he played at DePaul and transferred to Marquette. In 1986 the Los Angeles Lakers drafted Downing in the sixth round. After his playing days ended, Downing returned to his roots and coached high school basketball in Illinois.
- Travis Diener. Along with and Novak, Diener was the point guard that led a core group of Marquette players to the 2003 NCAA Final Four. In 2005 Diener was Orlando’s second round draft pick. Since joining the NBA, he has played for Orlando, Indiana and Portland. His best season was the 2007 to 2008 season with Indiana where he seemed to hit his stride as a professional.
- Steve Novak. After playing the Final Four with Dwayne Wade, Novak was drafted by the Houston Rockets in the second round in 2006. After two seasons, Novak was traded to the Los Angeles Clippers where he continues to provide solid play off the bench. Novak was the last Marquette basketball player to get drafted by the NBA in 2006.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
Beware These Telltale Signs Your Woman Is a Gold Digger
Now we ain’t sayin’ she is... but here are some clues.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.