5 Best Maryland Government Jobs
Positions of influence and interest make up the 5 best Maryland government jobs. Maryland is a dynamic state with big cities, rolling farmland, a thriving water-based industry and a shared border with the nation's capital. There are jobs in the Maryland government that offer many challenges and many opportunities.
- Governor. Perhaps the best Maryland government job, or the best job in any state, for that matter, is to be the big man on campus. Maryland’s governor is a powerful executive who can influence policy and veto any bill that comes before his desk. He also has the ability appoint cabinet members and other officials. Maryland’s proximity to Washington, DC and the presence of such important mid-Atlantic cities such as Baltimore and Annapolis make the state an important player, given its size. In addition, some of the wealthiest counties in the entire country are located in this state in the DC suburbs, giving the executive of this state a high profile position.
- President, University of Maryland. The University of Maryland is the flagship university of the state and one of the most highly ranked state universities in the United States. The total enrollment at the school is near 40,000 and its proximity to such power-centers as Washington ensures that the school makes strong ties to important agencies and attracts quality faculty. The president thus has a lofty position among his colleagues in the world of U.S. academe and oversees a budget of 1.5 billion and approximately 13,000 employees. This position, one of the best Maryland government jobs, requires a lot of experience rising through the ranks of the college system.
- Executive Director, Chesapeake Bay Commission. The Chesapeake Bay is one of the most important bodies of water in the country, an important waterway for trade and commerce and a significant source of food, especially the famous Maryland crabs. The Bay was under attack from pollution late in the 20th century, and a commission was set up to put forward policies to clean up the Bay and manage other issues surrounding its use. This position, one of the best Maryland government jobs, has the important task of making a difference to a historically significant body of water that borders the majority of Maryland states and contributes significantly to the economy. He directs the commission in its tasks of making laws and regulations and making recommendations to other policy makers. In addition, several days outdoors on the Bay are part of the job.
- Metro Board. The Washington, DC area has an extensive subway system known as “Metro.” Metro is governed by representatives from the three regions it serves, Washington, DC, Maryland and Virginia. The Maryland representative on the board makes contributions and input to Metro’s overall operations and direction. In addition, this person advocates for riders from Maryland and attempts to ensure his constituents’ desires and needs are being met. This is a very influential position, and one of the best Maryland government jobs, on one of the most respected and most-used subway systems in the world.
- Department of Natural Resources, Fisheries. A member of the natural resources police in the fisheries department has an exciting job outdoors on Maryland’s many streams and rivers, not to mention the Chesapeake Bay. Fishing is a huge industry in this state, but along with that come a large number of rules, regarding catch limits, size restrictions, licensing and more. This unit makes random checks of both commercial and recreational fishers and writes citations and takes more drastic steps when necessary. This job, one of the best Maryland government jobs, provides a life on the water and the satisfaction of knowing you are keeping the fish stocks of the state’s waterways healthy.