Every man’s closet should contain at least one of each of these 5 best men’s classic shirts. These wardrobe staples will last you year after year, especially when they are bought in classic colors like white, navy, red and black. For a modern take on basic shirts, sport these styles in the season’s hottest colors and patterns.
- The Oxford button-down. This classic men’s shirt is reminiscent of Ivy League style, in part because it’s named for the prestigious University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. It became popular in the 1950s, and today it’s a staple of any man’s wardrobe and a go-to piece for when a man needs to dress up, but not too formally.
- The double cuff, classic collar button-down. For those days and nights when you need to look proper, don a formal button-down in luxurious fabric that’s soft to the touch. A classic collar is appropriate for any occasion, and the double cuffs add an air of elegance. This classic men’s shirt should be a staple in any closet.
- The crew neck T-shirt. The classic T-shirt is practically a symbol of America. Little has changed design-wise since it first debuted in the early 20th century as an undershirt worn by sailors in the U.S. Navy. When screen icons Marlon Brando and James Dean donned a solid white tee in “A Streetcar Named Desire” and “Rebel Without a Cause,” it was shocking for America to see the undergarment worn solo. Today, the look is considered classic.
- The short sleeve polo shirt. With a collar and buttons, the short sleeve polo shirt is a dressier version of the T-shirt, and a classic men’s top. Today’s design is a spin off of the shirts worn by 19th century polo players. A polo shirt will take you from on to off the golf course, tennis court or polo field. It’s also perfect for those days when you want to spiff up but still be able to move around comfortably.
- The Henley. Stuck somewhere between a T-shirt and a polo shirt, the Henley is a collarless pullover shirt featuring buttons on the top. It was named after the UK town of Henley-on-Thames, which is the site of an annual rowing regatta. Rowers from this town made the Henley popular, and today it is considered a classic casual men’s shirt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
8 Things All Guys Should Stop Doing by Age 30
You're a man now, dog.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.