5 Best Miami Drug Movies
Break out your best suit, a sugar bowl and pretend to be a drug czar with the 5 best Miami drug movies. These Miami drug movies are filled with more glitz, glamour, dope, blood and guts than you can shake a stick at. All of these drug movies give us a sense of the ruthless glamour of the drug game in Miami and have been the inspiration of countless rap songs over the years. They allow us to live out our criminal fantasies without having to worry about doing time.
- “Scarface” (1983). You can’t have a list of the best Miami drug movies without talking about "Scarface." When it comes to movies on the drug trade in 1980s Miami, this movie is the best of the best. Not only is it one of the best films Al Pacino has ever been in, but it also has one of the most memorable lines in movie history: “Say hello to my little friend!”
- “Cocaine Cowboys” (2006). This documentary about the cocaine wars that plagued Miami in the 1980s makes our list because it is simply fascinating. No glitz, no bling, just the story of how a handfull of guys from New York, Columbia and Miami took selling cocaine from a small niche market to a nationwide explosion.
- “Cocaine Cowboys II: Hustlin' with the Godmother”(2008). It’s rare that a sequel outshines the original, but number three on our Miami drug movie list is even more fascinating than the original. Set between Miami and Oakland, California, it’s the story of Griselda Blanco, the biggest drug dealer that you never heard of. Better known as “The Godmother,” Griselda is the woman who put Pablo Escobar in business, and some say was the driving force behind the cocaine wars of 1980s Miami.
- “Miami Vice” (2006). Based on the 1980s cop drama, this reboot pulls Crockett and Tubbs out of their pastels and into the 21st century. It has all of the fast cars, explosions and hot women that you expect from a movie about fighting drug dealers in Miami, with the style and wit that made the original show so popular. Letting us relive the fun of "Miami Vice" without all of the crappy pastel colors is what makes this one of the best drug movies about Miami.
- “Bad Boys” (1995). This movie was the first film that made us appreciate Will Smith as an action star, but Will Smith isn’t the only reason it makes our list. This movie about drugs in Miami is a near perfect action comedy. Funny-as-hell one liners and lots of shoot-‘em-up action makes for a movie that kept us on the edge of our seat. Too bad we can’t say the same for “Bad Boys II.”