When traveling to Michigan, make sure to allow time for one of the 5 best Michigan beaches. Michigan has 3,200 miles of shoreline and 11,000 inland lakes. There is almost a beach in every destination in Michigan. Some beaches stand far above the rest in what they have to offer. The 5 best Michigan beaches:
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. This beach has 35 miles of Lake Michigan's eastern coastline. Sand dune formations are plentiful at this beach; they go as far as the eyes can see. Some of the highest sand dunes in Michigan can be found here, with the highest being 400 feet high. This dune has one of the most breathtaking views in Michigan. When standing on the dunes on a clear day one might be able to see North and South Manitou Islands. There is also a lighthouse on the beach that dates back to 1871. Exploring the numerous trails almost always leads right back to the beach, making it one of the 5 best Michigan beaches.
- Miner's Beach. Located in the upper peninsula on the shoreline of Lake Superior. This beach is one of the smallest 5 best Michigan beaches, but what it doesn't have in size it makes up for with the view of Pictured Rocks. Pictured Rocks is another name for weathered sculpted cliffs. The cliffs stretch for 15 miles and soar 200 feet high above Lake Superior. The water may be chilly, but there is always the chance that a Lake Superior agate will appear. A Lake Superior agate is Minnesota's state stone. The unique view makes this one of the 5 best Michigan beaches.
- Petoskey State Park. This beautiful sandy beach is located on the north end of Little Traverse Bay in Traverse City. Traverse City is one of the best known beach towns in Michigan. The beach offers a metal detecting area. Petoskey stones can also be found here. A Petoskey stone is Michigan's state stone.
- Port Crescent State Park. This beach is located on the sandy shoreline of Saginaw Bay, that holds the waters of Lake Huron. A beach in Michigan's thumb where there is a 900 foot boardwalk to stroll down. This beach is one of the few that contain sand dunes on the eastern side of the state, making it one of the 5 best Michigan beaches.
- Warren Dunes State Park. This beach is located in the lower portion of Michigan, not far from the Indiana state line. Another of the 5 best Michigan Beaches that contains sand dunes. On a clear day, on the top of Tower Hill, the Chicago skyline might be able to be seen. With six miles of nature trails and miles of sandy beach, Warren Dunes is a must see.