5 Best Models Turned Singers
It is seldom that entertainers do not have multiple talents, and these 5 best models turned singers are no exception. Performers are showing just how versatile they truly are by tackling many different levels of performance. It is rare, however, to come across a model turned singer which is why these five ladies are truly special. They have broken into another level of entertainment and continue to impress us with their skills.
- Tyra Banks- Banks hit the spotlight when she was in the eleventh grade and hasn’t looked back since then. She was one of the most sought after models while working in Paris. She was the first African American woman to grace the covers of GQ, Sports Illustrated and the Victoria’s Secret catalog. Her presence in television and film has been very successful. She has appeared in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air and has her own television reality show; Americas Next Top Model and her own talk shoe The Tyra Banks Show. To say Tyra banks is multi faceted is an understatement. Tyra aspired to be a singer and –as with all of her other ventures-made it happens. During the second season of Americas Next Top Model she released “Shake Ya Body” her first single. The video included contestants from the show in her music video. “Shake Ya Body” was met with mixed reviews.
- Rosie Vela- Vela began modeling in college. After the death of her husband she spent moved to New York to pursue a modeling career. She has been on the cover of New Woman, Elle and Vogue. Velas’ true passion lied in singing, and she signed with A&M Records. She began working on her first album “Zazu” which released in 1986. After the albums release she went on to sing backup for various artists.
- Carla Bruni- Bruni was discovered at the age of nineteen and began a very successful modeling career working with top designers. Bruni has worked for Christian Dior, Yves Saint Laurent and Guess to name a few. Bruni decided to turn her switch her talents from modeling to singing in 1997. Her first album, “Quelqu'un m'a dit”, debuted in 2002. Her vocal talents have been featured in many films including Conversations with Other Women and Le Divorce. To date, she has released three albums. Bruni has sung at the Radio City Music Hall and even sang at Nelson Mandelas’ 91st birthday. A fourth album is in the works.
- Irina Lazareanu- Lazareanu began her modeling career at seventeen years old to help make money to contribute to her household. Her career took off and she soon went on to work with top designers Chanel, Versace and Balenciaga. Lazareanu toured with the band Babyshambles in 2004. She has been working on a folk album; however, the date has been pushed back because she is working on modeling. She has collaborated with Sean Lennon, the two worked on an album together.
- Karen Elson- Elson began her modeling career as a young teenager and has since then graced the covers of Vogue, Marie Claire, and Elle Magazine. She has walked numerous fashion runways including Versace, Louis Vuitton, Chanel and Marc Jacobs whose runway she walked while pregnant. She has appeared in numerous fashion movies and manages a boutique in Tennessee. Elson is a lead member of The Citizens Band; a cabaret group in New York. Her performances with the band have been met with positive criticisms. Elson is popular for her amazing covers of other artists including Marlene Dietrich and Elvis Presley. She has done background vocals and duets with various artists. Her album “The Ghost Who Walks” is currently available online.