Here is a list of the 5 best movie releases on DVD in the UK, and if you don’t have them already you should get them. Before they went to DVD they were box office hits and with there being so many great movies released on DVD every week it’s so hard to narrow down the best movies released on DVD in the world let alone the UK.
- “The Godfather” –Part one in the trilogy of the classic American gangster movie starring Al Pacino and Marlon Brando was released nearly 40 years ago in 1972 and was only available on DVD in 2001 as part of a DVD package called The Godfather DVD Collection featuring all three films. A restored version was also released in the UK June 2008 under the title "The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration" and was ddefinitely worth the wait, as the Oscar-winning movie is one of the greatest movies ever made that introduced the world to the Mob.
- “Titanic” –Released in 1997 at the theatre and on DVD in 1998 in the UK this was the highest grossing movie of all time up until last year when “Avatar” knocked it down to number two. The James Cameron produced classic movie is a love story staring Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack Dawson a poor boy and Kate Winslet as Rose DeWitt from an upper-class family and a must have DVD for any collection.
- “Dark Knight” –Undeniably the best movie of 2008 and the best in the “Batman” franchise. Staring Christian Bale and the Oscar-Winning performance by the late Heath Ledger the Christopher Nolan produced movie was released on DVD in the UK December 2008 and definitely one to add to the DVD collection.
- “Scarface” –“Say hello to my little friend” is the famous line by Tony Montana played by Al Pacino in the 1983 classic gangster movie. A must have DVD that was first released in the UK in 1998 on to commemorate the fifteenth anniversary of the famous movie and with subsequent releases in 2001, 2003 and the ‘Platinum Edition’ in 2006.
- “Avatar” –The highest grossing movie of all time produced by James Cameron was released on DVD in the UK April 26, 2010 as well as a with a three disc extended collector’s edition released November 16, 2010 which contained the original cut, special edition cut and a collectors extended cut. The special effects alone make it worth having as part of a DVD collection.