5 Best Movies About Dragons
This list provides the 5 best movies about dragons. There are not many movies about dragons, although they are creatures of lore that are loved and often feared. Very few dragons have ever taken a main role in a movie, and most have been the enemy or a fire-breathing army. These dragons are the good guys.
- "Dragonheart" (1996) - Draco is the last dragon alive, because the rest have all been killed by dragonslayers. Draco gives half his heart to the young king, in hopes that the boy will grow up to be kind. That does not happen, and the king becomes cruel. It is up to Draco and the dragonslayer Bowen to stop the king. In this movie about dragons, two enemies must work together toward a like cause. Bowen as played by Dennis Quaid, and Draco as voiced by Sean Connery make the best man and beast duo ever made.
- "Spirited Away" (2001) - Technically, this movie is not about a dragon. However, it does have one of the greatest animated dragons ever made. Spirited Away is a Studio Ghibli film by Hayao Miyazaki that tells the story of Chihiro. This young girl accidentally finds herself stuck in a dreamlike world where the mistress has a big baby, gods and spirits walk and talk, and boys turn into dragons. This is a dragon unlike the fire-breathing lizards we usually see, making "Spirited Away" a beautiful and delightful movie.
- "Pete’s Dragon" (1997) - This movie about dragons is a Disney film that mixes live action and cartoon. The only cartoon in the entire movie is the dragon, Elliot. Young Pete runs away from his adopted family and ends up in Passamaquoddy with his best friend, Elliot. The two end up having some fun adventures, and singing some silly songs, while they find a home in the small town. This is a perfect family film that follows much of the story of "Puff the Magic Dragon."
- "Mulan" (1998) - Yet another movie not about dragons, but deserves to be on this list because of Mushu. Mushu is an itty-bitty dragon who tries to help Mulan pretend to be a boy and uphold her family owner by serving in an army. Voiced by Eddie Murphy, Mushu is a delightful and hilarious sidekick to Mulan. Disney struck big with this dragon character and his many amusing wisecracks (“Let’s go kick some Hunny buns!”).
- "Eragon" (2006) - So what if this movie about dragons got really bad reviews? So what if the story plays like a medieval "Star Wars"? So what if the book was written by a teenage boy with no skills? There is one thing that the movie Eragon did right, and that was the dragon Saphira. Saphira is a beautiful CGI dragon. She is regal and elegant. Rachel Weisz did the voice of Saphira and only Sean Connery as Draco beats her in that department. How amazing would it be to hear Saphira and Draco having a conversation together?