There are many options for South African inspired movies, but this is only a list of the 5 best movies about South Africa. South Africa is ripe with the history of the apartheid and is full of beauty. There are many movies and documentaries that have focused on South Africa's major needs.
- "Invictus." Released in 2009, this movie focuses on a piece of history featuring Nelson Mandela (Morgan Freeman). This movie starts when Mandela is released from a 26 year stay in prision. Mandela's release marks the end of the apartheid and places him as the new President of South Africa, which he uses to lift the apartheid. The story involves a rugby team that overcomes the effects of segregation and creates hope for the country.
- "District 9." The movie is based off a 2005 short film called "Alive in Joburg." Though it is a science fiction movie, it is based on the social segregation and dislike of foreigners. The movie was inspired by real events that took place in District Six, Capetown when an apartheid was placed into effect that wiped people out of their homes and separated a country. "District 9" was released in 2009 and was named one of the top ten independent movies.
- "Tsotsi." This movie won a 2006 Oscar for the Best Foreign Film. It follows a teen gang member in Johannesburg, South Africa. In the midst of murders and robberies, he finds an orphaned baby that changes his life.
- "Cry, the Beloved Country." The movie takes place in 1946 and tells the story of a white South African murdered by three black men. The victim was a black supporter despite his father's approval. The victim's father and one of the murderer's father develop a friendship. The movie was released in 2005 and starred James Earl Jones as Reverend Stephen Kumalo.
- "Long Night's Journey into Day: South Africa's Search for Truth and Reconcilation." This documentary focuses on the Truth and Reconciliation Comittee formed after the release of the apartheid. The documentary follows four cases of people who were victims of human rights violations.
Whether you experience South Africa in person or onscreen, these movies are sure to change the way you think about such a beautifully devastated country.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
As Boogie Nights Turns 20, Here’s What You Didn’t Kno...
Fun facts about Paul Thomas Anderson, Dirk Diggler, Rollergirl and more.
15 Shirts Women Simply Can’t Resist—and Why
From Ts to button-downs and beyond, these must-haves will get her everlovin’ attention.
19 Men’s Grooming Gaffes That Totally Turn Women Off
And what to do about them.