If you like movies that get you thinking like "Gran Torino", then these 5 best movies like "Gran Torino" released on DVD are a must see. These movies will quickly be part of your "Top Movie" list, if they already aren't.
- "Falling Down". Michael Douglas plays William Foster, a disgruntled citizen who has lost his job and is an messy divorce. Stuck in traffic on the way to see his daughter for her birthday, he decides to walk home and encounters some trouble along the way. Tired of the injustices in Los Angeles, he takes the law into his own hands.
- "The Shawshank Redemption". Tim Robbins stars as Andy Dufrense, a New England bank worker who is sent to jail on a murder conviction involving his wife and her lover. At first he is loathed by other inmates, until he meets up with Red, a long life inmate played by Morgan Freeman. Andy quickly realizes that no matter life's circumstances, there is always hope for a better outcome.
- "Cinderella Man". Based on a true story, professional boxer James Braddok, played by Russel Crowe, has a promising future in the sport until a hand injury and a loss to contender, Tommy Loughran, shatters his career. Needing to support his family during the Great Depression, James takes a job at the New York docks, where his boss gets him back into the boxing game. James' hard work at the docks pays off and becomes an inspiration to Americans across the nation.
- "Invictus". Nelson Mandela, played by Morgan Freeman, has just entered his first term in office, and is determined on piecing his country back to together after years of apartheid. He decides to use rugby as a platform to realize his vision, and seeks the assistance of South African rugby team captain Francois Pienaar, played by Matt Damon. Mandela's plan goes into action after hosting the World Cup, which breaks the racial barriers due to the love of the sport.
- "American History X". Although this movie falls into it's own category, American History X details the essence of racism in America. Edward Norton plays Derek, a Nazi group leader who is sent to jail for killing an African-American kid after breaking into his car. After several unfortunate incidences in prison, Derek finds comfort in his African-American laundry mate, Lamont, which changes his perception on race. When Derek is released from prison, he tries to sway his younger brother Danny, from a life of racism and hate before it is too late.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.