5 Best New York State Government Jobs
The 5 best New York State government jobs are those cushy jobs from which you can hardly ever get fired, even if you screw up and prove to be ineffective. While having a cushy government job sure beats having one in the private sector—because there is no competition among government jobs, so you really don't have to worry about putting in a good performance—the current resentment towards big government in the US is worse than it has ever been.
- New York Governor. A no-brainer, being the governor empowers you to basically be the CEO of the entire state, which is why it is the best New York State government job. As the governor, not only do you get to live out of a fancy and expensive-looking mansion, but you also get to have a lieutenant governor, a whole staff to cater to your every order and instruction, and a huge bully pulpit where the media is always eager to report on everything you say.
- New York Lieutenant Governor. Also a non-brainer, the lieutenant governor is the second best New York State government job because it is the second enchilada right after the governor. If anything happens to the governor—he dies, gets sick or is incapacitated in any way, shape or form--you as the lieutenant governor get to assume all his powers and responsibilities.
- Press Secretary. The press secretary takes the three spot on this list of the best New York State government jobs because it is very high-demanding, since you are in the line of fire of the media! As the press secretary of the governor of New York, you are the voice and communication device for the governor, making sure that you educate the people about exactly where the governor stands on everything from policy to current news items.
- New York State Attorney General. Simply put, as the State Attorney General of New York, you are the top law enforcement official in the entire state! That power alone makes this job position deserving of the number four spot on this list of the best New York State government jobs. As the top cop in the state, your duties include being the top legal advisor to the government of New York and serving as the boss of the state department of justice.
- New York Secretary of State. Rounding out this list of the best New York State government jobs is the Secretary of State for New York, where your top job is to be the chief elections official in the state. Every time there are elections, your burdens will be sizable, since you are accountable for qualifying rules, overseeing financial regulations, and setting up the election day procedures.