If you have allergies and do not have a prescription, you probably want to know what the five best over-the-counter antihistamines are. Picking the right one can alleviate the symptoms and prevent the itchy eyes, running noses and the occasional post-nasal drip that is associated with seasonal or specific allergies. The use of antihistamines often depends on how drowsy you want to feel and how long you want relief.
- Benadryl. Note that Benadryl may cause drowsiness. This common over-the-counter antihistamine frequently gets used as a sleep aid that does not have the potential to be habit forming. It may not last as long as some of the other medications on this list, but the manufacturrer has made the product for many years. It will not stop sinus congestion, but it does stop hay fever.
- Zyrtec. Claritin and Zyrtec started their war over which was the best allergy medication as prescription drugs. The effectiveness of both makes it hard to determine which one is the better over-the-counter antihistamine. The battle still continues, but Zyrtec beats Claritin out slightly because it does not cause as much drowsiness as its closest competitor.
- Claritin. Claritin works well to relieve allergies, but its effects do not last as long as its competitor and it causes slightly more drowsiness. Picking Claritin or Zyrtec is often a matter of personal preference. Both are good for blocking hay fever and allergies that trigger sinus problems.
- Tylenol Allergy. A consumer can buy this product with the pain reliever if she suffers from headaches as part of his allergy symptoms. It does not work as well as the medications listed above because Tylenol's allergy medication are designed to serve more than one purpose. It makes the list of the best over-the-counter antihistamines because sometimes an allergy sufferer needs to target multiple symptoms.
- Alavert. Alavert is a generic name for a common allergy medication. You can buy it in ten milligram tablets which the user can chew, swallow, or dissolve depending on his personal preferences.
The above list does not cover every over-the-counter antihistamine on the market. If a consumer wants to find something that will work best for his allergies, they should consult a doctor or pharmacist. Remember to read the instructions on the packages carefully. Some common over-the-counter antihistamines impair motor function more severely than alcohol.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert ...
What Makes Men Attractive to Women
What women want—confidence, a sense of humor and abs.