When you are in Austin during the Dia de los Muertos celebration, there are several places that stand out as the best places for Day of the Dead shopping in Austin. You will get an abundance of folk art selections as well as many Katrinas offering several Day of the Dead scenes that can broaden enjoyment in the tradition. This is a Mexican celebration that stands strong in Austin and many of the folk art shops are allowing this tradition to continue to prosper and provide tradition for the locals. Even if you are visiting, there are many great things you can pick up as gifts.
- Las Manos Magicas From the building to the items inside, the Mexican culture shines through greatly in this shop. This place has many items that can be used for the Day of the Dead such as Katrinas, which are small skeleton figures playing out Day of the Dead scenes. There is a great assortment of jewelry and folk art for those interested. Las Manos Magicas: 603 W. Live Oak St. Austin, TX 78704. (512) 416-1715
- Tesoros Trading Company This is one of the best places for Day of the Dead shopping in Austin with various trinkets and paintings to represent the sacred holiday. There are several folk art items, Virgin de Guadalupes, blankets, figurines, jewelry, pillows and postcards. This is a quaint little shop that will keep you returning year after year. Tesoros Trading Company: 1500 S. Congress Ave. Austin, TX 78704. (512) 447-7500
- Mexican American Cultural Center (MACC) When you are looking for the best places for Day of the Dead shopping in Austin, this is like a Mecca of items and cultural celebration. There are many different booths offering various products. You can even paint your own skull crafts to celebrate with a touch of personality. This is also a great place to find out about the tradition as well. MACC: 600 River St. Austin, TX 78701. (512) 478-6222
- The Turquoise Door This is another one of the best places for Day of the Dead shopping in Austin. This shop offers great paintings and various artwork that can be cherished long past the day. There are also several papier mâché skeletons and figurines for Day of the Dead you can purchase. There are various types of Mexican folk art and several traditional and symbolic pieces that can be cherished within your own home. The Turquoise Door: 1208 S. Congress Ave. Austin, TX 78704. (512) 480-0618
- Mi Casa This is not only one of the best places for Day of the Dead shopping in Austin, it is also one of the best folk art stores in the area of the middle of South Congress. Traditional art and many Dia de los Muertos items bring out the tradition and flair of the holiday. There are several locals that recommend this spot for any type of art shopping for Mexican cultural art and various folk items native to Austin. Mi Casa: 1700 S. Congress Ave. Austin, TX 78704. (512) 707-9797
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.