Having the 5 best "Pulp Fiction" movie quotes always at hand will make you an insta-fave among the Tarantino-loving crowd. At the same time too shocking to watch and impossible not to, Quentin Tarantino’s "Pulp Fiction" was inescapable in 1994. One of the main reasons audiences found it so compelling was writer/director Quentin Tarantino's relentless dialogue, which was funny when we expected it to be mean, witty when we expected one-liners, an ultimately profound when we expected God-knows-what. Here are a few unforgettable quotes.
- “Oh I’m sorry. Did I break your concentration?” -Jules Winnfield (Samuel L. Jackson) As the ill-fated Brett (Frank Whaley) tries to explain how he and his group of frightened twentysomethings got sideways with one of the more dangerous crime lords in Los Angeles, Jules calmly extracts his 9mm and shoots the guy beside them on the couch before delivering this line. Clearly Brett’s concentration is broken. Of course, this entire list could easily be filled with Samuel L. Jackson quotes, but this one sums up his character pretty well.
- “That’s when you know you’ve really found someone special. When you can just shut the f*@k up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.” –Mia Wallace (Uma Thurman) to Vincent Vega (John Travolta) One of the coolest movie quotes in one of the coolest scenes ever. Audiences must have been shocked to see Travolta, who had appeared most recently in "Look Who’s Talking Now" trade barbs with the seductive, red lip-sticked Thurman. Also, this quote reminded us how effective silence–and more importantly–style is in filmmaking. Hollywood seemed to get this message too, as a slew of copycats followed.
- “He’d be dammed if any slope’s gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy’s birthright. So he hid it in one place he knew he could hide something. His ass.” -Captain Koons (Christopher Walken) to the young Butch (Chandler Lindauer) This "Pulp Fiction" quote commonly uttered by amateur Walken impersonators is actually delivered in one of the least sarcastic and most devastating monologues in the entire film. Walken somehow manages to add heart to a film that shows few good sides of the world, all while talking about inserting an “uncomfortable hunk of metal” up his ass. He may be the only actor alive with that kind of range.
- “Zed’s dead, baby. Zed’s dead.” –Butch Coolidge (Bruce Willis) This "Pulp Fiction" quote is quite the understatement considering the fact that Butch had just sliced his way out of the man in question’s basement with a samurai sword, only moments from being subjected to the most unspeakable of acts. However, really any line spoken while sitting on a chopper with a babe on the back sounds pretty cool.
- “Ezekiel 25:17: The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men…” -Jules Few things are more terrifying than Samuel L. Jackson holding a gun while quoting Bible verses. When we hear Ezekiel 25:17 for the second time, after every one of Tarantino’s gruesome fantasies has come to full fruition, we fear the worst for Pumpkin and Honey-Bunny, the two inept–but endearing–criminals holding up the coffee shop. While everyone else seems to be rather tense during this final showdown, Jules sees it as a good opportunity to hold Bible study. “You’re the weak,” he concludes, “and I am the tyranny of evil men. But I’m trying. I’m trying real hard to be the shepherd.” In a film largely about the ugliest most depraved sides to everyone, we are left with a glimmer of hope. It’s moments like these that turn a good film into a great one.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
21 Fantastic Facts About Ronda Rousey
This trivia’s like her fights: quick and jarring.