If you’re in the mood for some classic comedies, check out the 5 best Richard Pryor movies. The seminal stand up comedian found major success in the 70s and 80s with his comedy albums, winning five Grammy awards. Though he was well-known for the use of profanity in his stand up routines, many of his popular films were more mainstream.
- “Silver Streak” (1976) "Silver Streak" brought Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder together on the big screen for the first time. The plot centers around a murder on a cross-country train ride. The film made it onto the American Film Institute’s list of “100 Years…100 Laughs.”
- “The Toy” (1982) When a rich, young boy is told he can have anything he wants from a toy store, he chooses Jack Brown, played by Richard Pryor. After the boy’s father offers Jack a large amount of money, Jack agrees to be the boy’s “toy” for one week. Jackie Gleason co-stars as the wealthy business mogul.
- “Brewster’s Millions” (1985) “Brewster’s Millions” is based on a novel from 1902. In the film, Monty Brewster learns if he can spend 30 million dollars in a month, he will inherit 300 million dollars. Monty soon finds out that it’s more difficult than it seems because he’s not allowed to end up with any assets and he can’t tell anyone about the deal. In addition to Richard Pryor, the movie stars John Candy, Lonette McKee and Stephen Collins.
- “Stir Crazy” (1980) Another film pairing Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder, “Stir Crazy” places their innocent characters in prison after they are framed for bank robbery. “Stir Crazy” also features JoBeth Williams, Craig T. Nelson and Barry Corbin. The film spawned an unsuccessful and short-lived sitcom in 1985.
- “Moving” (1988) In “Moving,” Richard Pryor stars as Arlo Pear, a man who is moving his family from New Jersey to Idaho. What should be a simple and painless move turns into a nightmare. Dana Carvey makes an appearance as a man with multiple personality disorder and Randy Quaid shows up as the Pears’ obnoxious neighbor.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.