Some of the saddest songs ever recorded were acoustic performances, as this list of 5 best sad acoustic songs shows. Of course, any list of songs is subjective, so in this list I've tried to include a variety of sad songs that are performed acoustically, from various genres. While they can all be considered rock songs, there's a mix of styles and backgrounds. So next time you're feeling down, sit back and enjoy this list of five best sad acoustic songs.
- "Hurt" by Johnny Cash: This cover of the Nine Inch Nails classic song is not only a great sad acoustic song, it's one of the most emotionally heart-rending recording I've ever heard. Knowing Cash's life story and his battles with drug addiction and alcoholism gives the a particular poignancy to the lyrics "The needle tears a hole, The old familiar sting. Try to kill it all away but I remember everything." The version was hugely popular and helped revive Johnny Cash's career near the end of his life.
- "Can't Find My Way Home" by Blind Faith: Steve Winwood sings this song in a way that absolutely affects the soul. While the meaning of the song is open to personal definition, there's no doubt that we've all felt a profound sense of being lost and unable to save ourselves.
- "The Rejection Letter" by The Strugglers: Such a very simple sad acoustic song about a guy is folding up the letter he received and putting it away for the last time. He's realized that there's no point in going over it anymore, because she won't be back. The lyrics explain "It's not worth holding out for someone else to see it any better."
- "Wish You Were Here" by Pink Floyd: When Syd Barrett went 'round the bend and left the band, Roger Waters was left devastated over the loss of his friend. This song is an outpouring of the pain he felt.
- "Black" by Pearl Jam – While the original recording of this song wasn't acoustic, Pearl Jam did an emotionally charged acoustic version of the song on MTV's Unplugged. Many people feel that it was the moment in their career that propelled them to superstardom.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
A Noble Experiment… With Bourbon
What happens when jeans are “aged” liked a fine spirit? We’ll soon find out.
Today in Nick Offerman: Love, Work and iPhone Advice
He offered that, plus tales of college sex, on the Tonight Show.
Cooking With Booze: Bourbon Barrel Quad Ice Cream
If you're ever going to make dessert, make it this beer-and-bourbon brilliance.