What are the five best Savage rifles for prairie dog hunting? As with any "best" list, it is practically impossible to satisfy everyone. We will try to, instead, satisfy as many people as possible by referring to the source: Savage rifle company's website. Savage's official website has a section that shows which of their rifles are suitable for which game. By checking the "Varmint" category for "prairie dogs," we find bolt action rifles, but there are differences in their various models which will suit different people.
- Model 40 Varmint Hunter Single Shot This is a single shot rifle, which many people like, in .22 Hornet. The .22 Hornet cartridge is a centerfire .22 caliber cartridge, which is suitable for varmints at medium ranges, and also happens to be a quieter cartridge for those areas where that is important. It has a laminated wood stock and is blued carbon steel. It comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts. It also comes with Savage's special Accustock and AccuTrigger for accuracy.
- Model 12 LRPV Dual Port This is a synthetic stocked stainless steel all-weather single shot rifle with a unique and interesting twist. It has a unique second port in the action through which the rifle is reloaded. The bolt and ejection port remain on the right side like normal rifles, but there is a separate port on the left side of the action for loading. This makes for a very comfortable and handy reloading rifle for the prone or bench-rest shooting hunter, very forward thinking indeed by Savage. The rifle comes in four calibers: .223 Remington, .204 Ruger, .22-250 Remington and 6 Norma BR. It comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts and uses Savage's AccuTrigger and AccuStock.
- Model 25 Classic This is Savage's version of the classic wood stocked varmint rifle. It has a high luster stock and blued barrel. It comes in two calibers, .223 Remington and .204 Ruger, and uses a four round detachable box magazine for fast reloading. It comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts and has Savage's AccuTrigger and AccuStock. This rifle will appeal to the hunter who loves the style and gloss of the classically styled and finished hunting rifle.
- Model 25 LVT This is the thumb-holed stock version of the classic hunting rifle for those who prefer the comfort that a thumb hole gives during those long shooting sessions. It comes with a laminated wood thumb-hole stock and a satin finished blue barrel and action. It comes in two calibers, .223 Remington and .204 Ruger, in a four round detachable box magazine. It comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts and uses Savage's AccuStock and AccuTrigger.
- Model 12 FVSS This is the all-weather varmint rifle. Its stainless steel barrel and action and synthetic stock make it all but impervious to any weather the hunter may experience. It comes in three calibers, .223 Remington, .22-250 Remington and .308 Win, and uses a four round internal box magazine. It comes drilled and tapped for scope mounts and uses Savage's AccuTrigger and AccuStock for optimal accuracy.
Savage makes other rifles, which would work on prairie dogs. We stuck with new production rifles and tried to put in something for just about anyone. Hopefully you will find something you like on the list. Happy hunting!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Made Man Food Shows
We all love great food—and the people who make it! Our culinary video series introduces you to the country's best chefs and experts, so you can become one yourself. Pull up a chair …
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …