5 Best Straight Razors
When choosing a straight razor, there are 5 best straight razors to look for. Which one you choose will depend on your own taste and needs. If you have never bought one before, you will not know what to look for. Finding a quality razor will be to your advantage because many of them last a lifetime if you maintain them properly. They must be maintained properly to work at their best and they must be very sharp. It also saves from having to use disposable razors and dumping them in the landfill.
- Buying a quality razor is important. When you start checking out razors at the store the quality of the razor will be evident. By comparing razors you will see what makes one better than the other.
- Choosing the right temper. Razors come in soft, medium or hard temper. Soft razors are easier to sharpen, and hard tempered ones keep their edge longer. Which one will be best for you depends on your shaving requirements and how much maintenance you want to do. Straight razors do come in disposables for those that don’t want to spend time with maintenance and still get a close shave.
- Balance is important. In razors that work the best, the handle and blade weigh the same. They should be balanced equally in order to get the best shave.
- Decide on the grind of the blade. There are concave grinds and wedge grinds. The choice of barbers is concave grinds, because when you are shaving you can feel how the beard resists with each stroke. Wedge blades can be hard to sharpen, but they work well if you let your beard grow out heavy once in a while.
- Never buy a razor that has a blade that is nicked or scratched. Don’t let the salesperson tell you that there is no difference between a nicked blade and a smooth blade. Shaving with a nicked blade could cause damage to your face.