Good movies need a variety of key elements such as a story line, location and of course actors and these five best tropical island suspense movies go a step further by being set on a remote and often dangerous island. Many of the best thrillers of all time take place on tropical islands, including the likes of "Jurassic Park" and "Pirates of the Caribbean." While several notable suspense movies take place on tropical islands, these five stand above the pack as the five best tropical island suspense movies.
- "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl." In the first of the Walt Disney series which launched several films and lots of merchandise, "Pirates of the Caribbean" stars Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley as Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp) attempts to rescue the governor's daughter (Knightley). While much of the highly acclaimed film takes place on the water, the characters visit the Isla de Muerta, which is full of treasure and of course suspense with curses and pirates alike.
- "Jurassic Park." Based on the Michael Crichton novel, "Jurassic Park" explores the possibility of bringing dinosaurs back to life. Scientists visit the fictional island of Isla Nublar to see the cloned creatures, but the experiment soon hits a snag and the cast featuring Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum is forced to fend for their lives. The movie, which was once the highest-grossing film at the time, spawned two sequels and several video games.
- "Cast Away" Acclaimed actor Tom Hanks easily holds down the film "Cast Away" as a FedEx worker stranded on a deserted island after a plane crash. He's forced to fend for himself with the limited resources of the island and plot his escape with hopes to return to the real world and his love, portrayed by Helen Hunt. Hanks was nominated for an Academy Award for the stellar performance, which is also believed to inspired the idea for the wildly popular television show "Lost."
- "The Beach." Leonardo DiCaprio stars in the 2000 film "The Beach" as a solo traveler who happens upon a tropical island in Southeast Asia with white sand beaches and crystal clear water. But the adventure takes a turn, as the islands inhabitants aren't very receptive to new members of their tribe. While the film left some disappointed, "The Beach" did well at the box office.
- "Nims Island." Taking place on an island in the South Pacific, "Nim's Island" stars Abigail Breslin as Nim, a young girl who enlists the help of her favorite author, portrayed by Jodie Foster, to search for her lost father, played by Gerard Butler. Despite her agoraphobia, the author, channeling her adventurer character Alex Rover, visits "Nim's Island" to attempt the rescue.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.