5 Best Ways To Boost Immune System
It is important to know the five best ways to boost immune system functioning. A healthy immune system protects the body from infections and disease. White blood cells, known as leukocytes, find and destroy foreign organisms and other substances. By boosting the immune system, the body is able to fight off illness without succumbing to frequent infections.
- Maintain optimum pH balance within the body. Include lemon juice or apple cider vinegar in the diet to promote proper acid-alkali balance in the body. This supports the growth of healthy bacteria rather than harmful ones which tend to thrive in a more acidic environment. Lemon juice is easily added to the diet by squirting it in iced tea, on salads or by using it as an ingredient in cooking.
- Be optimistic. A study conducted at the University of Kentucky from 2001 to 2005 showed that optimism and overall happiness may strengthen the immune system. Immune function appears to decrease when optimism does.
- Exercise. Regularly participating in exercise is one of the best ways to boost immune system functioning and fight off infections.
- Proper Nutrition. Selenium, found in shellfish, helps remove flu viruses from the body. Garlic fights infections and bacteria due to the allecin contained in it. Provide antioxidants to fight infection and disease by eating fresh fruits and vegetables. Drink water to flush harmful substances from the body.
- Get plenty of sleep. Aim for 6 to 8 hours of sleep every night. The body repairs and heals itself, including its immune system, during sleep.