The five best wine pairings with ham are an inspired mix of slightly dry wines that don't compete with the flavor of the ham. Although it's hard to go wrong when pairing wine with ham, lighter wines balance out the sweetness of the ham and the sauces and side dishes that often accompany ham.
- Riesling. This dry white wine has enough fruity notes to bring out the flavor of the ham, especially if the ham is glazed. A glass of Riesling can bring a ham glazed with honey to life thanks to the hints of peach in this wine. Moreover, it's great choice when it comes to wine pairings for ham that will be served to a crowd because Riesling is a wine that most people like.
- Gewurtzraminer. Gewurtzraminer is another white wine that has enough sweetness to balance out the saltiness of ham. It's also just the slightest bit spicy which works well with any sweet glazes or sauces that might be served alongside the ham.
- Chardonnay. Chardonnay is a great choice when it comes to wine pairings for ham because it works quietly alongside the ham. It is also fairly neutral in the sense that you won't have to worry about it clashing with any of your side dishes. Chardonnay is another crowd-pleaser because it's so mild. Go with a lightly oaked Chardonnay when pairing it with ham.
- Zinfandel. Most people serve white wines with ham but if you have your heart set on a red, Zinfandel is an excellent choice. Zinfandel is one of the better wine pairings with ham because of its higher alcohol content.
- Pinot Noir. A light Pinot Noir is one of the best wine pairings with ham that has a savory sauce rather than sweet. Pinot Noir has a rounder flavor with hints of berry that can stand up well to savory sauces.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
25 Enlightening Quotes About Being a Gentleman
What’s your definition of a perfect gent? LL Cool J, Lea Michele, Andy Samberg and friends weigh in.