Although many wealthy persons make regular contributions to charitable organizations, these 5 billionaires who donate to charity do so in such vast amounts, they've set the bar higher for everyone else. A billionaire is generally defined as a person whose total worth exceeds one billion units of currency. Some billionaires focus the donations on one area, such as underprivileged children, while others give to a variety of cases and have set up their own foundations.
- Warren Buffet. Warren Buffet created Berkshire Hathaway, a conglomerate corporation that oversees and holds several successful companies, like Geico, though his savvy in stock market investing. Buffet is a vocal supporter of many charitable causes, including the Make A Wish Foundation and Girls, Inc. In 2006, he made the world's largest single donation in the sum of 37 billion dollars to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Bill Gates. Bill Gates is the founder of Microsoft, the company that distributes Windows for personal and business computers. In 1994, Gates, together with his wife Melinda, used their personal wealth to establish what is now the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to further health and education all over the world.
- David John Sainsbury. Known as Lord Sainsbury due to his membership in the House of Lords in the UK, Sainsbury founded the British supermarket chain Sainsbury's, one of the largest in the region. Sainsbury became the first British person to donate more than one billion pounds total to charity in 2009. His foundation, the Gatsby Charitable Foundation, supports a variety of causes, including scientific research and aid to children.
- Yu Pengnian. Chinese billionaire Yu Pengnian, a real estate tycoon, created a charitable foundation in his name in 2003. The charity provides money for cataract surgeries for Chinese people in need and supports residents in the poorer regions of the country. Between 2003 and 2010, Yu Pengnian donated 1.2 billion dollars to his charity, nearly his entire net worth.
- Carlos Slim Helu. Carlos Slim Helu is a Mexican billionaire with a fortune built on the privation of the Mexican telecommunication systems. He was the world's richest billionaires on the 2010 Forbes list, with a net worth of 57 billion. Helu routinely donates to a variety of causes and has his own charitable foundation, the Carlos Slim Foundation, to further medicine and health in Mexico.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…
We all love fine food—and the people who make it! Eats introduces you to those folks, taking you into the kitchens of all kinds of culinary luminaries. From BBQ to vegan, eco-frien …