You can enjoy these 5 Caribbean appetizers for Thanksgiving during your holidays, or any other time of the year. The food that you will find in the Caribbean is a mixture of the flavors from many different cultures, along with a flair that is unique to the Caribbean area. The combination of spices is flavor you will easily recognize.
Caribbean Tostone Appetizers for Thanksgiving
- 3 green plaintains
- Vegetable oil for frying
- dash of salt
- dash of hot chili powder
- Cut both ends off plaintain. Run a knife along the edge through the peel only. Make a few lengthwise slits and carefully peel it away from the flesh.
- Cut plaintain into 3/4 inch slices.
- Heat vegetable oil that is about 3/4 inch deep to 350 degrees.
- Fry tostones for two to three minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and press with hand to flatten.
- Put back in oil until crispy. Remove and drain.
- Sprinkle with salt or chili powder.
Caribbean Marinated Grilled Shrimp for Thanksgiving
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Mix soy sauce and honey. Pour over shrimp
- Marinate for one hour
- Place shrimp on skewers and grill or broil four to five minutes.
Caribbean Salsa Appetizer
- 1 cup diced fresh mango
- 1/2 cup dices fresh mango
- 1/2 cup diced papaya
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp liime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Mix together mango, pineapple, papaya, pepper, and onion in a bowl.
- Pour in lime juice and olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with mint before serving.
Caribbean Jerk Lobster Appetizer
- 4 lobster tails
- 2 1/2 tsp Jerk seasoning
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Remove membrane from lobster tails. Split in half lengthwise.
- Brush butter on each tail. Brush Jerk sauce on each tail.
- Bake in oven on cookie sheet meat side up for four minutes on 350 degrees. Flip and bake three more minutes.
Thanksgiving Caribbean Codfish Balls
- 1/2 lb salted codfish
- 2 cups raw potato, diced
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Soak codfish in cold water for at least four hours
- Boil for a half hour. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Flake the fish and remove fine bones.
- Boil potatoes for twenty minutes. Drain.
- Add butter, pepper, and shredded fish to potatoes. Mix well.
- Form into small palm size balls. Dip in beaten egg, and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Thread onto cocktail picks to serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.