You can enjoy these 5 Caribbean appetizers for Thanksgiving during your holidays, or any other time of the year. The food that you will find in the Caribbean is a mixture of the flavors from many different cultures, along with a flair that is unique to the Caribbean area. The combination of spices is flavor you will easily recognize.
Caribbean Tostone Appetizers for Thanksgiving
- 3 green plaintains
- Vegetable oil for frying
- dash of salt
- dash of hot chili powder
- Cut both ends off plaintain. Run a knife along the edge through the peel only. Make a few lengthwise slits and carefully peel it away from the flesh.
- Cut plaintain into 3/4 inch slices.
- Heat vegetable oil that is about 3/4 inch deep to 350 degrees.
- Fry tostones for two to three minutes. Remove and drain on paper towel. Cover with another paper towel and press with hand to flatten.
- Put back in oil until crispy. Remove and drain.
- Sprinkle with salt or chili powder.
Caribbean Marinated Grilled Shrimp for Thanksgiving
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Mix soy sauce and honey. Pour over shrimp
- Marinate for one hour
- Place shrimp on skewers and grill or broil four to five minutes.
Caribbean Salsa Appetizer
- 1 cup diced fresh mango
- 1/2 cup dices fresh mango
- 1/2 cup diced papaya
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 3 tbsp liime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Mix together mango, pineapple, papaya, pepper, and onion in a bowl.
- Pour in lime juice and olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with mint before serving.
Caribbean Jerk Lobster Appetizer
- 4 lobster tails
- 2 1/2 tsp Jerk seasoning
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 tsp lemon or lime juice
- 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Remove membrane from lobster tails. Split in half lengthwise.
- Brush butter on each tail. Brush Jerk sauce on each tail.
- Bake in oven on cookie sheet meat side up for four minutes on 350 degrees. Flip and bake three more minutes.
Thanksgiving Caribbean Codfish Balls
- 1/2 lb salted codfish
- 2 cups raw potato, diced
- 1 onion, grated
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Soak codfish in cold water for at least four hours
- Boil for a half hour. Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Flake the fish and remove fine bones.
- Boil potatoes for twenty minutes. Drain.
- Add butter, pepper, and shredded fish to potatoes. Mix well.
- Form into small palm size balls. Dip in beaten egg, and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown.
- Thread onto cocktail picks to serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
9 Rappers With “Young” In Their Names Who Aren’t So Young An...
They get older, their monikers stay the same age.