Should you be worried about that bump you just discovered back there? Check out these 5 causes of a rectal lump, and then go visit your doctor to have it checked out if you are still concerned.
- Hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are probably the most common reason for having a rectal lump. You may feel a lump near your anus, up to as big as a grape. It may itch and be a little sore. You may find blood on toilet paper, in your shorts, on the seat, or a little in the stool.
- Anal Fissure. An anal fissure is a small tear in the anal lining, often occurring during strained or difficult bowel movements. One of its symptoms is a rectal lump, accompanied by pain and bleeding.
- Rectal Cancer. The rectum is the last six inches of the body's digestive system, exiting through the anus. One cause of a rectal lump is rectal cancer. Symptoms that require doctor's attention include blood in the stool, change in bowel habits, tired feeling, abdominal discomfort, change in appetite, or unexplained weight loss.
- Anal Cancer. Anal cancer occurs in the anus, which is the end of the large intestine, below the rectum. The anus and the rectum are often confused for each other. Consult your doctor if you feel a lump in this area, and/or other symptoms including bleeding from the area, pain or pressure in the area, itching or discharge, and/or irregular bowel habits.
- Prostate Cancer. The prostate is located between the bladder and the rectum. According the the Cleveland Clinic, is the most common cancer found in men. It usually refers to a condition called adenocarcinoma. The associated rectal tumors are often actually located near the rectum, as opposed to in the actual rectum, but prostate cancer has a tendency to spread. Watch for changes in urinary habits; blood in the urine or semen; pain in the pelvis, back, or bones; and unexplained weight loss.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...