Selecting 5 cold appetizers for your party can be a daunting task, considering recipe selections are far more limited than hot appetizers. The following cold appetizers are quick and easy to make, and countless recipes for each dish are available online if a recipe is even required.
You will need the following supplies to complete these cold appetizers:
- At least two melons, preferably three to four, of any shape or size. A melon baller utensil or curved spoon.
- A dozen eggs, a jar of salad dressing or mayonnaise, mustard, paprika and both salt and pepper.
- Sliced deli ham, preferably non-thin sliced. A container of cream cheese, regular or low-fat, plus a jar of olives. A block of Colby, cheddar, or similar cheese or a bag of pre-cubed cheese. Toothpicks or other skewers, available at most grocery stores.
- Raw, cleaned vegetables which can be consumed raw, such as broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. A container of dip of any preferred flavor.
- A pre-made cheese ball and a container of crackers, or the ingredients to make a cheese ball at home, such as fresh chives, chopped onions, and diced sliced ham in a cream cheese mixture. Recipes are available online in a vast variety of cheese ball combinations.
Once you have assembled your basic ingredients, assemble the following cold appetizers. Variations of these simple recipes are numerous, but may add additional materials to the above list of supplies
- Melon Balls All that is required for this quick, simple dish of cold appetizers for your party is a selection of melons and either a teaspoon or an actual melon-baller utensil. Choosing multiple types of melons allows for a greater variety and a stronger visual appeal. Cut open your melon and scoop out balls in various sizes. Stack them on a decorative plate or add to a jar for easy transport.
- Deviled Eggs A go-to staple for the host wanting cold appetizers, deviled eggs are quick, inexpensive, and delicious. Simply hardboil the eggs, slice them in half, and remove the hardened yolks to a bowl. Mix the yolks with mayonnaise or salad dressing until as smooth as possible, season with pepper, salt, and a touch of mustard. Pipe the mixture back into the egg white halves using a bag with the corner cut open, then sprinkle with paprika.
- Ham and Cheese Kebobs Purchase skewers, at least three inches in length, or elongated toothpicks, and thinly sliced ham. Choose either pre-cubed cheese or a block of cheddar, Colby, or the like, and pick up a box of cream cheese and a jar of olives. Smear the cream cheese over a slice of ham, and then roll it up into a tube. Cut into three to four pieces, and then spear it with the skewer along with a cube of cheese and an olive. Adding a tablespoon of olive juice to the cream cheese can make it smoother and easier to spread. These make great cold appetizers for your party.
- Veggie Platter This simple, quick cold appetizer is a sure hit at any party. Purchase a selection of vegetables which can be consumed cold and uncooked; broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cherry tomatoes, etc. Select at least one type of dip, preferably two, and assemble the selection on a platter. As a bonus, it’s a considerate dish for anyone at the party who might want a healthier appetizer option.
- Cheese Ball and Crackers One of the best cold appetizers which is readily available at most grocery delis, or which can be made at home in advance, is a cheese ball. Recipes are available online and in most cook books. Pair your cheese ball with crackers, ideally with a variety of styles and flavors, on a platter.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …