Learn about 5 easy dessert recipes for Columbus Day. Christopher Columbus was an Italian explorer that sailed around the world searching for land for Spain. He sailed for the king and queen of Spain because they funded his adventures. Making some easy Italian and Spanish desserts is a great way to celebrate this national holiday in October for Columbus Day. Make these five desserts part of your Columbus Day celebration.
1. Raspberries With Mascarpone
- 2 packages fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 lb. container of mascarpone cheese
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Whipped cream
- Beat the cheese in a bowl with a mixer until creamy.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Add the egg yolks, sugar, and cream. Beat until light and creamy.
- Spoon the mixture into parfait dishes. Cover and refrigerate one hour.
- Place fruit on top of mascarpone mixture. Add whipped cream.
2. Pears with Port and Gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 Red Bartlett Pears cored and cut in half
- 1 cup port or Marsala wine
- 5 ounces of gorgonzola cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large sauce or fry pan melt the butter. Core and slice the pears in half.
- Add wine, sugar heat to boil about 5 minutes in pan. Add the pears.
- Cook pears over medium high about 15 minutes. Saute on both sides.
- Remove pears place on individual dishes skin side down. Cook wine sauce a few minutes pour over pears.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon gorgonzola cheese onto pears. Sprinkle with toasted pecans.
3. Strawberries Romanoff
- 1 pint slice strawberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Grand Mariner
- 1 tablespoons orange zest
- Whipped Cream
- Wash and slice the strawberries put in a bowl. Add the sugar.
- Pour the Grand Mariner over the strawberries.
- Zest the orange and add mix evenly with strawberries. Let sit in bowl for one hour.
- Serve the strawberries and marinade in bowls with whipped cream.
4. Caramelized Oranges
- 2 oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon water.
- Whipped cream
- Peel the oranges discard skin. Section and put on flat baking sheet.
- In small saucepan heat sugar, wine and water. When dissolved and thickened pour over oranges sections.
- Let cool and coating harden. Serve slice oranges with whipped cream.
5. Bananas With Honey and Rum
- 4 bananas peeled and split
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoon rum
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder.
- Whipped cream.
- Peel the bananas and split lengthwise.
- Melt the butter in the frying pan. Add the butter saute a few minutes on both sides.
- Add the rum and honey heat for few minutes. Remove bananas to plates spoon sauce over fruit.
- Dust with cinnamon powder and whipped cream.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.