5 Contemporary Design Ideas For Men
Every guy needs a really cool place to show off and here are 5 contemporary design ideas that can help you do just that. The great thing about these design ideas is that they instantly say "contemporary", not your grandma's decorating style (no offense intended to grandma). Whether you are long or short on cash, you can probably pull off one of more of these contemporary design ideas that will spiff up your place in no time.
- Decorate with neutral colors. Browns, beiges and black will signify to all who enter that you are really cool and know how to decorate. Neutral colors are easy on the eye, sophisticated and work with any kind of furniture or decor. If you are able to paint your walls, paint them beige or soft brown. If they are white and your landlord doesn't want them painted, bring in the other neutrals in window treatments, rugs and accessories.
- Use metals in your decor. Not your grandma's decorating style, for sure! Bring in metals like bright silver vases and bowls, hammered copper, etc. Keep the accessories modern and funky. No ornate candelabras allowed. If money is tight, shop the thrift stores for low-cost accessories that you can transform with a can of silver spray paint.
- Pick up a chaise. For the latest in seating, a chaise does the job. Some contemporary sofa designs have a chaise built right in. Shop discount and clearance centers if you are on a tight budget. In this challenging economy, there are some great furniture bargains out there. Adding a chaise to your living room is a great way to add contemporary design.
- Open floor plan. If you own your place and can take down walls, consider doing so. While it is usually unwise to eliminate rooms in the event of resale, anything you can do to create good flow in your design will update your space. Keep spaces light and airy. Eliminate clutter.
- Built-ins. For those guys who were really paying attention in shop class and not fooling around, consider making some of your own built-ins. A custom entertainment unit, custom closets, etc. will make your place look really upscale and feel a lot more comfortable. Look around for design plans that are contemporary to really suit your space.