These 5 Day of the Dead Mexican hors d’oeuvres will make your party a success. These recipes are authentic and easily made.
To make Day of the Dead pico de gallo, you will need:
- 1 1/2 cups diced, seeded tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. diced jalapenos
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 tbsp. cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package sea salt pita chips
- Combine all ingredients in bowl.
- Let marinate for fifteen minutes and stir once.
- Serve the hors d’oeuvre with pita chips.
To make Mexican guacamole, you will need:
- 3 avocados, peeled, cored and halved
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp. each kosher salt, cumin, cayenne
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 package sea salt pita chips
- Place avocado in lime juice. Drain avocados, saving lime juice.
- Mash together avocados, salt, cumin and cayenne.
- Add tomatoes, onions, garlic and cilantro, mixing thoroughly.
- Add 1 tbsp. reserved lime juice.
- Let the Day of the Dead hors d’oeuvre recipe sit for an hour. Serve with pita chips.
To make Day of the Dead Hot Chocolate, you will need:
- 3/4 cup of water
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 1/2 oz bittersweet chocolate, grated
- Vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tbsp. expresso, instant
- Chili powder
- Bring water to boil. Split vanilla bean in center and add to boiling water.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and espresso. Simmer for one minute.
- Add chocolate and whisk until mixture becomes thick.
- Place one scoop of ice cream in cup, pour hot chocolate mixture over top.
- Sprinkle the Mexican drink with chili powder before serving.
To make black bean hors d’oeuvre, you will need:
- 1 lb. black beans
- 4-6 cups beef broth
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 large carrot, peeled and minced
- 1 red onion, minced
- 1 each red and yellow peppers
- 2 tbsp. sea salt
- Tortillas, sliced in half and grilled
- Add ingredients to pot, bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for at least two hours, or until beans are tender.
- Remove from heat, let sit for fifteen minutes.
- If soup has a lot of liquid, remove excess with spoon until the soup is of a chunkier consistency.
- Serve the Day of the Dead hors d’oeuvre with toasted, halved tortillas.
To make easy Mexican pork appetizers, you will need:
- 1 lb. pulled pork, pre-cooked as directed on package
- Tortillas, halved and grilled
- 2 avocados, peeled, cored and mashed
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 red onion, minced.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine avocados, pepper, garlic salt, chili powder and red onion in mixing bowl.
- Spread mixture on one tortilla half, top with 2 tbsp. pulled pork.
- Roll tortilla around pork mixture, hiding edges on bottom. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for ten minutes. Remove from oven. Transfer to serving dish.
- Top with extra red onion, if desired.
- Served the Day of the Dead recipe while warm.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Tattoos
These tips from our resident expert will serve you well in the chair.