5 Diabetic Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes
Need to learn five diabetic Thanksgiving dinner recipes? Diabetes can make it hard to enjoy your Thanksgiving because you have to be careful about what you can eat, which can cause you to miss out on a lot of tasty foods. These five recipes make it possible to keep your diabetes under control so you can have a delicious, stress-free holiday.
- Roast Turkey With Rosemary- In about three hours you can have a delicious Thanksgiving turkey that is low in calories, fat, and cholesterol. You need a raw turkey that is about 10 lbs., six garlic cloves, one tbsp. salad oil, one fourth cup rosemary chopped and one lemon. 1) Take out the neck and giblet, trim any unnecessary fat, and wash the turkey. 2) Massage the salad oil onto the turkey. 3) Using one half of the lemon, squeeze the juice into the turkey. Squeeze the other half on the outside. Place both halves into the cavity of the turkey. 4) Chop three garlic cloves and mix with the rosemary. 5) Loosen the skin of the turkey by putting your fingers between the neck and push the skin slowly up. Then place the garlic mixture between the skin and meat. 6) Put turkey on roasting rack for three hours. Let it cool and enjoy.
- Collard Greens- A must have during Thanksgiving is collard greens. As a diabetic you should make sure you have plenty of vegetables in your diet. This recipe gives you all the vitamins naturally found in this vegetable without all the added salts and fat. You will need four lbs of collard greens, two onions, four garlic cloves, one and a half can of reduced sodium chicken broth, two tsps olive oil, one half tsps of ground pepper and use the leftover neck and giblets from your turkey. 1) Remove the stems and wash the collards. 2) Break the collards into pieces. 3) In a medium pan, heat oil and add collards, onions, and garlic. Cook for about five minutes. 4) Add all of your remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for an hour. 5) Remove meat and drain.
- Squash- This is a great vegetable for Thanksgiving that will help your blood sugar level stay low. You will need two lbs of squash shredded, two garlic cloves minced, two large tomatoes, a pinch of salt and pepper, two tbsps. of capers drained, and two tbsps. of parmesan cheese. 1) Combine all of the ingredients except cheese. 2) Heat until squash is tender. 3) Stir in cheese and taste for seasoning. Within forty minutes, you will have a great Thanksgiving side dish that is low is calories and fat and is great in lowering blood sugar.
- Sweet Potato Biscuits- Homemade biscuits or rolls can be full of carbohydrates. During Thanksgiving, making sweet potato biscuits is a delicious way to reduce the amount of the carbohydrates you consume. You will need one cup mashed cooked sweet potato, one cup nonfat buttermilk, two and a half cups sifted unbleached all-purpose flour, cooking spray, one fourth cup canola oil, two tbsps. brown sugar substitute, one half teaspoon sugar, one half teaspoon salt, one half teaspoon nutmeg, two teaspoons baking soda and two teaspoons baking powder. 1) Preheat oven to 400°F. 2) Combine flour, nutmeg, baking powder, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, sugar, oil, buttermilk, and mashed sweet potato. Stir well to mix evenly. 3) Knead the dough on a surface that has been covered with flour. 4) Put the dough into an 8x5 inch container that’s about one inch thick. 5) Put flour on a knife and cut the dough into thirds lengthwise. 6) Cut each long strip into six equal pieces, making eighteen squares. 7) Place onto baking sheet with cooking spray. 8) Bake fifteen minutes.
- Apple Cake- It is just not Thanksgiving without dessert. With a delicious apple cake recipe, you will be able to enjoy a wonderful dessert. You will need one cup chopped apple, one fourth cup oil, one egg white, one half tsp. cinnamon, one tsp. soda, one tbsp. liquid sweetener, one cup flour, one fourth tsp. salt, one tsp. lemon juice, two cups whipped cream, and cooking spray. 1) Pre heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. 2) Mix all the ingredients and pour in pan. 3) Cook for thirty minutes. 4) Remove from oven and cool. Apply whipped cream onto cake. Serve and enjoy.