Creating a list of 5 drinks to make with rum is easy. The reason being rum is such a versatile spirit: It can be drunk straight, with a mixer or on the rocks. Rum is available in dark, light, coconut or spiced. Because of the all these available choices, finding an enjoyable rum drink is anything but hard. For starters, why not try any one of these five drinks you can make with rum.
Simple Rum and Coke
This is a great drink for people being introduced to rum. Of course, you do not have to make this drink with only Coke; any type of soda will do. Some people even like to use diet sodas. You can also add lime or lemon to enhance the flavor.
- Any type of rum
- Diet or regular soda
- Lime/lemon (optional)
- Pour two ounces of rum (a single shot) into a glass filled with three or four ice cubes.
- Top the glass off with coke.
For something a little more tropical and fun, why not try making a pina colada? This drink may sound exotic, but it is relatively easy to make. All you need is a blender and you can have an island drink in your very own living room.
- Light rum
- Crushed pineapple
- Pineapple juice
- Coconut cream
- Crushed ice
- Combine three ounces of light rum, four ounces pineapple juice, half a cup of crushed pineapple and one ounce of coconut cream.
- Blend on high, adding crushed ice to create a smooth creamy texture.
The mojito is a drink you can make on a hot summer's day. It is refreshing, goes down smoothly and will keep you cool. If you are looking for a drink that has a island feel, but is also a little more sophisticated, this is the drink for you.
- 2 to 3 limes
- Powdered sugar
- Soda water
- Fresh mint leaves
- Pour an ounce of freshly squeezed lime juice into a glass containing a half dozen mint leaves. Add a tablespoon of powdered sugar.
- Add ice and two ounces of rum.
- Top it all of with soda water and garnish with a mint leaf.
This a great choice if you are having a large party. It drinks just like punch, but has the kick of a strong cocktail. To make this drink with rum, you will need either a large bunch bowl or a pitcher. Also make sure you keep plenty of ice on hand.
- A bottle of rum
- A frozen of can orange juice
- 16 oz. can of cream of coconut
- 16 oz. can of crushed pineapple
- Combine all the ingredients in the punch bowl and chill with ice.
- For more of a festive feel you can add flowers, drink umbrellas, cherries, pineapple slices and oranges.
If you want a drink with more of a sophisticated appeal, you can try making this rum drink. It is fairly simple to make and it has a unique, yet delicious taste. The drink calls for lime juice, but will taste better if you use freshly squeezed limes or lemons. You will also need to chill all the ingredients in the freezer for several minutes before mixing.
- Light rum
- Fresh limes/lemons
- Simple syrup
- In a drink shaker, mix together two ounces of light run, a teaspoon of lime juice and a teaspoon of simple sugar. Shake well and poor into a glass.
- Top it off with champagne. Drink and enjoy.