Surfing the web in search of 5 easy All Saints' Day recipes from France? All Saints' Day is part of a two-day holiday. This day for remembering Catholic saints is sacred to the French. Food associated with this day should be well prepared, warm and filling. These five recipes are a great example.
A tasty breakfast idea for All Saints' Day, this French dish will be a winner. Warm, gooey and sweet, this is a treat that is sure to please.
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter,melted
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- Nonstick spray
- Raspberry jam, fresh berries, lemon curd or Nutella
- Combine milk, flour, butter, sugar and salt in blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat small nonstick skillet over medium heat and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Pour two tablespoons of batter into pan and swirl to coat bottom. Cook until brown on both sides.
This hearty beef stew is warm and filling. It features red wine and root vegetables. Serve with garlic bread.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2-1/2 lbs. lean beef shoulder cut into large bite sized cubes
- 2 onions cut into eight pieces
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 ripe tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups dry red wine
- 1-1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 parsnips peeled cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot peeled cut into one-inch pieces
- 1 large turnip peeled cut into one-inch pieces
- Preheat large pot until extremely hot. Add oil and the beef to the pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook until brown.
- Transfer beef to a bowl and reduce to medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook for three minutes. Add tomatoes and wine and stir. Simmer for eight minutes.
- Return beef and juices to pot. Decrease heat. Place lid on pot and simmer until tender.
- Add parsnips, carrots and turnips and return the lid. Simmer until tender.
Mulled Apple Cider
This warm fruity drink is a wonderful staple for French All Saints' Day celebrations. This recipe yields eight servings.
- Half-gallon apple cider
- 2 tsp. orange zest
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 3 whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- Mix ingredients in large saucepan. Barely bring to a simmer over lowest heat setting. Do not allow cider to boil. Cook for twenty minutes.
- Strain spices and berries from cider by pouring through mesh sleeve/cheesecloth. Serve hot.
Roast Chicken Noodle Soup
This warm comforting soup offers a strong flavor. Do not overcook the noodles.
- 3 whole star anise
- 3 cups water
- 1/2-inch ginger peeled, sliced in rounds
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 thinly sliced garlic cloves
- 2 bunches chrysanthemum leaves, bottoms trimmed, upper stems leaves cut in two-inch strips
- 1 pack thin Chinese egg noodles
- 1 lb. roasted chicken, cubed
- 1 thinly sliced onion
- 3 red Thai bird chilies
- Stir star anise in large saucepan over medium heat. Add three cups water and ginger. Simmer fifteen minutes.
- Add broth, soy sauce and sugar. Simmer fifteen minutes. Stir oil and garlic over low heat until crisp.
- Blanch chrysanthemum leaves in boiling water until wilted. Using strainer transfer to colander. Rinse with cold water.
- Boil water and add noodles. Cook until tender and stiff. Cut noodles crosswise.
- Heat chicken in microwave on low in ten-second intervals.
- Divide noodles evenly top with mixture and broth.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Cooked Apples
This versatile dish can be a breakfast, desert or All Saints' Day snack. The sweet cinnamon flavor can become a yearly tradition.
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 2 tbsp. apple juice
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- Juice of half medium lemon
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Peel, core and cut thinly slice apples. Add brown sugar and apple juice to a pan over high heat to melt brown sugar. Add apples. Turn heat to medium. Stir occasionally.
- Add two teaspoons cinnamon and half teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg. Stir.
- Squeeze half a lemon over apples add lemon zest. Cook until desired tenderness
These All Saints' Day French recipes are wonderful to celebrate the festivities.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.