Enjoy celebrating All Saints day with these 5 easy All Saint's day recipes from Spain. All Saints Day is celebrated around the world on November 1. In Spanish-speaking countries it is called, "Todos Los Santos." In America, it is called "The Day After Halloween." In Spain, it is an important national holiday marked with festivals and special dishes.
1. Roasted Chestnuts. (castañes): The tradition of eating roasted chestnuts is accompanied by stories of Maria the Chestnut Seller, a feisty old lady who is the heroine of many humorous children's tales.
- Preheat oven to 425 fahrenheit.
- Clean chestnuts but leave them in their shell.
- Prick the shells with a knife to allow steam to escape.
- Spread on cookie sheet.
- Bake for twenty minutes or until the shells are soft.
- Let cool, peel and salt them.
2. Almond cakes, (pannellets): These, at one time, were left with the bodies of the dead. The living get to eat them now. To simplify the traditional recipe, ready-made, unbaked pie crust can be used.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 egg
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat the oven at 375 Fahrenheit.
- In a pan, heat 1/3 of the butter and add the chopped almonds. Sauté almonds over medium heat till brown. Let cool.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan. Add the almonds and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating until the mixture is fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, sift the corn starch with the baking powder and salt, and then fold it into the almond mixture.
- Pour mixture into the ready-made crust and bake for ten minutes or until the batter begins to sag.
- Spread the almonds over the top and return the pan to the oven, baking for 20 minutes or until brown.
3. Saint's Bones (huesos de santo): The eggroll-sized sweets do look like short segments of bones. The saints' bones are filled with sweet egg yolk but, to simplify this recipe, use a ready-made filling like chocolate or cream. Also, rather than make the dough from scratch, use a tube of crescent-roll dough
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup of ground almonds
- Mix the water and sugar until it forms a heavy syrup. Add the almonds, stirring until it forms a thick paste. Leave to cool.
- Knead the paste and roll it on a surface dusted with powdered sugar. Cut into two-inch squares. Wrap each square on a knitting needle. Wrap the dough around and dust with sugar. Draw out the needle. Bake at 375 Fahrenheit for fifteen minutes or until done.
- Let cool, then fill with your choice of fillings.
4. Wind Puffs. (Buñuelos de viento): These are doughnuts liberally sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar.
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 cup Flour
- 4 Eggs
- Cooking oil
- 3 cups Sugar
- Place water, butter and salt in a saucepan. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat.
- Add flour. Mix well.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing until well blended.
- Heat oil in a pan to 370 Fahrenheit. Drop mixture into oil by tablespoonfuls. Fry for two minutes uncovered, two minutes covered and then two minutes uncovered.
- Drain on paper towel and place in a dessert bowl. Dust with sugar and cinnamon.
5. Bodies of the Dead. (Boniatoes): Boniatoes are a tropical sweet potato, but any other type may be substituted. There is no special recipe for Bodies of the Dead, so they may be fixed in any method. Here is a popular one.
- Sweet Potatoes. Any number
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 package of marshmallows
- 1 package of brown sugar
- Peel, cube and place sweet potatoes in large kettle. Add water until it covers potatoes. Boil until tender.
- Butter large cake pan and sprinkle with brown sugar. Drain potatoes and transfer to cake pan.
- Rub stick of butter over each potato. Sprinkle more brown sugar on potatoes.
- Shake out marshmallows over potatoes until you start to feel guilty about what you are doing to one of nature's finest foods.
- Place pan in oven and bake at 375 Fahrenheit until marshmallows are browned.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
You’re Not a Man Unless You Can Cook These 5 Meals
You're not off the hook: This list includes dessert.