5 Easy American Independence Day Recipes
Make these 5 easy American Independence Day recipes. An American Independence Day is perfect for a backyard cookout or a picnic before the fireworks. These dishes work for both of these American Independence Day celebrations.
1. Red White and Blue Sundaes
If you want to make red white and blue sundaes for an American Independence Day, you will need:
- 12 ounces fresh blueberries, or frozen
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 2 scoops of ice cream per person
- Place the blueberries, water, sugar and lemon rind in a saucepan. Bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down to low. Simmer for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
- Wash and hull the strawberries. Cut into halves or slices.
- Dish your 2 scoops of ice cream in each bowl. Spoon the strawberries onto the ice cream.
- Drizzle with blueberry sauce. Serve immediately.
2. All American Potato Salad
If you want to make all American potato salad for Independence Day, you will need:
- 4 large potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1/3 cup pickle relish
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters. Boil until tender, then drain and chop into chunks.
- Put eggs in a pan of water and bring to a boil. Boil for one minute. Cover with the lid and remove from the heat. Let stand off the heat for 14 minutes until hard boiled. Then peel and dice.
- Put the eggs and potatoes in a bowl. Add the other ingredients and stir together gently. Refrigerate until serving time. Perfect for an Independence Day picnic.
3. Barbecued Ribs
If you want to make a traditional Independence Day dish, barbecued ribs, then you will need:
- 4 pound slab of pork ribs
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Put the ribs in a roasting pan and bake for two hours.
- In the meantime, start the grill. Coat the ribs with sauce.
- Place on the grill. Cook one side and then turn over to cook the other. Baste the ribs as you cook them.
- Remove the ribs from the grill. Cut into rib sections and serve.
4. Balsamic Watermelon Cubes
If you want to make balsamic watermelon cubes for Independence Day, you will need:
- 1 small seedless watermelon
- Balsamic vinegar, high quality
- Cube the watermelon into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Use a small melon baller to remove just a small scoop from the top of each cube.
- Drizzle a few drops of vinegar into the scoop on each cube. Serve ice cold.
5. Baked Beans
If you want to make baked beans for Independence Day, you will need:
- 4 slices bacon, halved
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, diced
- 3 14-ounce cans pork and beans
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Put bacon in a skillet and fry it until partially cooked and most of the fat is rendered. Remove the bacon and drain.
- Put the onions and green peppers in the pan with the rendered fat. Cook for five minutes. Add the pork and beans to the pan.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet. Stir together.
- Put the bean mixture into a baking dish. Put the reserved bacon on top and put into the oven.
- Bake for two hours. Remove from the oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with the ribs and potato salad for an Independence Day cookout.