These 5 easy Buddhist food recipes are delicious and your family and friends will think you spent hours in the kitchen preparing a special meal just for them. Buddhist’s believe that it is wrong to eat the meat of a suffering animal. Therefore, they eat a mostly vegetarian diet. These easy Buddhist recipes are full of flavor and good for you, too.
1. Vegetable Paste
This all time classic is a staple at every Buddhist dinner table. Buddha himself has probably handed down this recipe.
- 1 cup red chilies (deseeded)
- 1 cup dried red chilies (soaked in water)
- 1 cup candlenuts
- 1Tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon turmeric root ground
- ½ teaspoon curry leaves
- 2 stocks lemongrass
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor, blend to a fine paste, adding little water.
- Pour in a wok with heated oil and fry fragrant. If the paste is too dry, add more oil.
- Sauté until oil floats on top.
- Refrigerate left over paste, use to sauté with vegetables.
2. Curry Noodle Vegetable Soup Stock
Curries are another staple food in the Indian cuisine. This recipe is one of the simplest but it sure is one of the best.
- 1 package yellow noodles
- 1 can mushroom cream soup
- 1 cup Vegetable Paste
- 2 springs curry leaves
- 2 stocks Lemongrass
- 1 (6) sting tofu puffs cut up
- 1 quart water
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Combine in stew pot curry paste and leaves, add lemongrass.
- Add ½ quart water.
- Combine soup with ½ quart water.
- Pour into pot. Bring to boil, season with salt and sugar. Add more sugar if needed.
- Adjust the thickness according to your preference by adding water
- Add tofu puff. Simmer for ten minutes at low heat.
3. Curry Noodle Vegetable Soup Garnish
There are many ways to prepare a curry, but the garnish used with the curry is mostly the same.
- 1 Cucumber (julienned)
- 1 can pineapple (can also use fresh pineapple)
- 1 package bean sprouts
- 5 medium potatoes cut up
- 2 firm fried tofu or bean curd
- Cut the prepared vegetables for the garnish.
- Blanch the noodles in semi-boiling water and sieve in a colander.
- Blanch the bean sprouts partially; it will taste better if it’s slightly crunchy.
- Deep fry cut potatoes. If using tofu that has not been fried, then cut in small pieces and deep fry that with the potatoes.
- Assemble individual portion of noodles in a bowl, top with various vegetables then scoop enough hot curry over it. Use the one in the recipe above or any other curry will do fine as well. Decorate with parsley.
4. Buddhist Monk’s Pumpkin Soup
The Buddhist Monks probably didn't need to meditate over this Buddhist food recipe. It is a simple but delicious soup.
- 1 quart water
- 1 can pumpkin or squash
- 1 can sweet potatoes or yams
- ½ cup peanuts
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable Oil
- ½ ounce cellophane noodles
- 1/3 cup bean curds
- Boil the water and drop in the pumpkin/squash, sweet potato, peanuts.
- Cook on medium heat for until thick. Fry the curd in hot oil until light brown on both sides.
- Slice lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips and set aside.
- Occasionally, check the bean curd for softness. If they're soft, add the coconut milk and a touch of salt.
- Bring up to a boil and add the cellophane noodles and fried bean curd.
5. Kaya Coconut Jam
A very different kind of jam. The flavors of coconuts with the pandan leaves are a delicious combination.
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups thick coconut milk
- 3 pandan leaves (Screw pine leaves)
- 1 cup sugar (to cook caramel)
- Beat eggs and sugar with hand whisk till sugar has dissolved.
- Add coconut milk into egg mixture.
- Put egg mixture into the double boiler stirring constantly.
- In a pan, stir-fry the remaining 1 cup of sugar till it melts and golden in color. Add the sugar into the egg mixture.
- Continue stirring the egg mixture together with pandan leaves till it has thickened and golden in color. This process will take about 1.5 hours.
- Remove from double boiler and cool thoroughly.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.