These 5 easy family Valentine’s Day recipes are quick and easy to prepare. The children can help fix many of the recipes and that makes Valentine’s Day special for the adults and the children.
To make chocolate covered strawberries, you will need:
- 16 oz. milk chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries with leaves
- Wash strawberries and set on paper towels. When dry, insert toothpicks into the tops of the strawberries.
- Melt the chocolate and shortening in a double boiler. Stir occasionally until smooth.
- Hold strawberries by the toothpicks. Dip the strawberries into the chocolate mixture.
- Turn the strawberries upside down and insert the toothpick into Styrofoam or set on wax paper for the chocolate to cool.
To make chocolate bar fondue, you will need:
- 32 oz. milk chocolate, grated
- 1-1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coffee
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. white sugar
- Dippers (i.e. slices of apple, pineapple, bananas, angel food cake, marshmallows, strawberries, pound cake, pineapple, bananas)
- Melt the chocolate with heavy cream in a double boiler over medium heat. Mix in the coffee, vanilla and sugar.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture is smooth. Keep the fondue warm, but not hot.
To make almond strawberry salad, you will need:
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach or romaine
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sliced honey-roasted almonds
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
- Combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds in a bowl.
- In a bottle or jar with a lid, combine the vinegar, honey and sugar. Shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
To make Valentine’s Day pizza, you will need:
- 1 package refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 18 slices pepperoni
- 1/2 cooked sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
- Oil or spray
- Baking sheet
- Unroll pizza dough onto a greased baking sheet. Flatten dough. Cut into a heart shape with kitchen scissors or pizza cutter. Bake at 425 degrees for eight minutes.
- Combine the Italian and mozzarella cheeses. Set aside.
- Spread dough with pizza sauce. Layer with the rest of the toppings.
- Bake eight to ten minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
To make Valentine’s Day pancakes, you will need:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- Griddle or skillet
- Oil or spray oil
- Strawberry syrup
- Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the buttermilk, egg and butter. Stir to moisten.
- Grease and heat griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Pour one-fourth cup of batter onto griddle. Cook about one to two minutes or until bubbles appear on the top of the pancakes.
- Turn and cook about one to two minutes more or until just cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- With heart-shaped cookie cutter, knife or pizza cutter, cut pancakes into hearts.
The entire family will enjoy the tantalizing flavors of these five easy family Valentine’s Day recipes. Happy Valentine’s Day!