With these 5 easy German recipes for Oktoberfest, you can celebrate all things German. These easy recipes will help you create an authentic German Oktoberfest meal with very little effort. You'll find all the standards here to make your Oktoberfest a memorable event.
German Potato Salad
- 3 lbs. red potatoes
- 1 to 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp. pepper to taste
- 6 tbsp. white distilled vinegar or cider vinegar
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2-1/2 tbsp. flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/4 cup water
- Cook bacon and drain the oil. Reserve the bacon fat. Boil potatoes whole with skins and drain.
- Dice one onion finely. Chop other onion coarsely.
- Cook larger onion in oil until translucent. Remove potato skins. Cut potatoes into one-inch cubes.
- Add bacon and cooked onion to potatoes. Add salt, pepper, oil and vinegar to taste. Add raw onions last.
- Melt bacon grease in saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir in flour. Slowly whisk in water and vinegar. Add sugar and continue cooking, stirring constantly until thickened. Add sauce to potato mixture.
Easy Spaetzle Dumplings
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil. Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Break of sections of dough and gradually them drop into boiling water. Cook for fifteen minutes. Remove dumplings with slotted spoon.
- Keep dumplings warm until all the dough has been cooked. Serve in place of potatoes.
Easy German Bratwursts
- 4 lbs. fresh bratwurst sausages
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups butter
- 12 oz. beer
- 3 tsp. ground black pepper
- 20 hoagie rolls
- Stab each bratwurst with a fork to release the pressure that builds when cooking.
- Place bratwurst, onions, butter and beer in a large stock pot. Set over medium heat. Simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Start grill while bratwursts are cooking. Lightly oil the grate.
- Remove bratwursts from stockpot. Grill sausages for ten to fourteen minutes. Turn every few minutes to brown evenly. Place one sausage in each hoagie bun and top off with onions.
German Black Forest Cherry Cake
- 1 dark chocolate cake mix
- 1/4 cup kirsch (cherry brandy)
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- 16 oz. heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- Maraschino cherries, drained, for garnish (optional)
- Milk chocolate curls or shavings for garnish
- Pour cherry pie filling into a colander to drain syrup. Chill a large mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator while preparing cake.
- Follow directions on cake mix package. Bake cake in two nine-inch round pans. Cool the cake.
- Pour the cherry brandy over both layers when cake is completely cooled.
- In chilled bowl and using chilled beaters, beat cream until slightly thickened. Add confectioners sugar in small amounts until completely added. Blend completely until mixture forms peaks.
- Shave block of chocolate with a vegetable peeler. Keep shavings chilled until ready to use.
- Place first layer of cake on a serving platter. Create a half layer of whipped cream on top of this layer. Scatter cherries over whipped cream. Leave a margin of half an inch around edge of cake that has no cherries.
- Place second layer on top of cherries. Use remaining whipped cream to cover top and sides of cake. Make swirls in whipped cream to add decorative flair. Set chocolate curls into frosting on the side of cake. Place maraschino cherries on top of the cake, if desired.
To make German Sauerkraut, you will need:
- 4 (16 oz.) jars sauerkraut
- 4 large pork hocks
- 32 oz. water
- 4 large red potatoes
- 1/2 cup flour
- Place sauerkraut and pork hocks in a large stock pot. Add water.
- Slow cook over low heat for four hours. Remove the hocks and let cool.
- Peel and grate potatoes. Add flour to potatoes and mix well.
- Combine potato mixture with sauerkraut. Simmer for two more hours over low heat. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
9 Rappers With “Young” In Their Names Who Aren’t So Young An...
They get older, their monikers stay the same age.