Greek Christmas is a time to enjoy good food with friends and family, and with these 5 easy Greek Christmas recipes you will be able to enjoy a traditional holiday table. Although Christmas is not the biggest Greek holiday of the year, it is celebrated with lots of food. You will usually see several different courses with salads, meats, and of course delicious desserts.
1. Greek Lemon Soup
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 4 egss
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste
- 6 lemon slices
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Combine eggs with lemon juice and beat well.
- Pour egg mixture into hot soup, beating constantly.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Strain into a container and chill for three hours.
- Serve with lemon slices.
2. Greek Christmas Souvlaki
- 4 lbs boneless leg of lamb, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 7 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 9 small onions, peeled and cut in half
- 5 firm tomatoes, quartered
- 2 green peppers, cut in 1 1/2 inch squares
- Combine oil, lemon juice, and wine in a bowl. Add meat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, oregano, and garlic. Add bay leaf.
- Put onions and tomatoes on top of meat. Cover with a plate to weigh down. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Bring to room temperature. Thread onto skewer alternating meat with onions, tomatoes and peppers.
- Broil over charcoal for fifteen to eighteen minutes.
3. Greek Beet and Garlic Salad
- 2 cans sliced beets, discard liquid
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- dash sea salt
- dash ground pepper
- Combine beets, garlic, oil, and vinegar in a bowl.
- Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate before serving.
4. Roasted Leg of Lamb for Greek Christmas
- 1 leg of lamb, bone in
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 8 fresh sprigs of sage
- 8 fresh sprigs of thyme
- Preheat oven to 325
- Season meat with salt and pepper. Rub with olive oil.
- Score meat lengthwise in four parallel slits, on both top and bottom of leg.
- Place one sprig of sage and one sprig to thyme in each slit.
- Cover lightly with foil and cook for twenty minutes per pound for rare, or 25 minutes per pound for medium.
5. Greek Christmas Kourabiedes
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Cream together butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Add egg yolk, brandy, and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in almonds.
- In separate bowl stir together flour and baking powder. Blend slowly into sugar mixture.
- Wrap and chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Form into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 for twenty to 25 minutes.
- Cool. Then roll in additional powdered sugar.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
The Gentleman’s Guide to Online Gaming
Get into FPSs and MOBAs without getting your ass kicked… too much.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.