When you want to celebrate the end of the winter gloom, try these 5 easy Holi Festival of Colors recipes. The recipes are native to the cultures of India as they celebrate the coming of spring. These Holi Festival of colors recipes provide the food and drink to go along with all of the song and dance enjoyed at the festival.
Onion Bhajia Holi Festival of Colors recipe
- 1 cup oil
- Chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- Batter. Mix chickpea flour, cumin, salt, water and jalapenos together. Whip in a mixer for a lighter consistency.
- Onions. Heat the oil in a heavy pan to 375 degrees. Dip onions in batter and fry until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Aloo Kachori Holi Festival of Colors recipe
- 1 lb. potatoes
- 1/2 cup arrowroot
- Salt to taste
- 1 coconut, grated
- 3 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. cardamom seeds
- Dough. Boil potatoes in a large pot until tender. Drain excess water and mash. Mix in one-fourth cup arrowroot and salt. Knead to a smooth consistency. Set aside.
- Filling. In a large bowl, mix coconut, jalapenos, lemon juice, sugar and cardamom seeds until well incorporated.
- Putting it all together. Take a small portion of dough and press into a thin circle. Place a small amount of filling in the center of the dough. Wrap dough around filling, sealing the seams.
- Cooking. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Roll kachori in remaining arrowroot. Fry until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
Papri Chaat recipe
- 1 lb. chickpea flour
- 1 tsp. mustard oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. methi leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. wheat flour
- Dough. Mix chickpea flour, mustard oil, salt and chili powder and knead into a dough. Add methi and knead until thoroughly incorporated. Cut dough into bite-sized pieces and roll into a one-inch ball. Flatten ball with heel of your hand.
- Cook. Heat oil to 425 degrees. Cook each papri until golden brown. Drain on paper towel-lined plate.
Easy Thandai Holi Festival of Colors recipe
- 15 almonds
- 2 tsp. anise seed
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cardamom powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. white peppercorns
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- Mix. Grind almonds and set aside. Grind remaining spices and blend with almonds. Mix with milk and water.
- Strain. Strain with cheesecloth. Serve in a glass.
Bhang Hot and Buttered Holi Festival of Colors recipe
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 oz. marijuana leaves
- 8 oz. vodka
- Cardamom seeds
- Cooking. Melt butter in medium pan. Add marijuana leaves, breaking them apart as they are added to the pan. Cook until beginning to sizzle. Add vodka and continue to cook until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve. Strain mixture into two glasses and serve.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …