5 Easy International Christmas Recipes
These 5 easy international Christmas Recipes will give you a taste of the holidays from around the world. With recipes from Italy, Japan, and France among others you can have an International Christmas right in your own home. It can be fun to try new things, and adding a little international flavor to your Christmas dinner will make things much more interesting for everyone.
Easy French Aigo Bouido
- 4 1/3 cups water
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- small sprig of fresh sage
- small sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 egg yolk
- 6 slices French bread, brushed with olive oil
- Bring water to a boil. Add garlic and salt. Boil for ten minutes.
- Add herbs. Remove pan from heat and allow herbs to steep for ten minutes.
- Remove herbs. Blend yolk with some cooled broth, and stir back into soup.
- Place oiled bread in soup bowls, pour soup over bread and serve immediately.
Easy Japanese Christmas Fried Potatoes
- 4 potatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil for frying
- Wash and cut potatoes into bite size pieces. Wrap in plastic wrap and heat in microwave to soften.
- Peel skins off. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Spread flour over potato pieces. Dip into whisked egg.
- Spread breadcrumbs on potatoes.
- Heat oil in deep frying pan to 400 degrees. Fry potatoes for one minute.
Mexican Atole for Christmas
- 5 oz. tortilla-masa dough
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 cups milk
- 3 cups water
- 7 oz. sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Dissolve dough in the water. Strain mixture, add cinnamon sticks and heat.
- When boiling, add milk, sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla. Let it boil, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add milk to thin out. Remove cinnamon stick and serve.
Russian Tea Cakes for an International Christmas
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, combine first four ingredients on low speed of a mixer for one minute. Slowly add flour and mix until just combined. Stir in nuts.
- Roll into one inch balls. Place one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes until firm to touch but not brown.
- Cool and roll in powdered sugar.
Easy Italian Porcini Brasati for an International Christmas
- 1 lb porcini mushrooms
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Slice mushrooms. In a saucepan, brown garlic with olive oil. Remove when brown.
- Add tomatoes, saute for five minutes. Add mushrooms back.
- Cook until tender. Add salt and pepper to taste and sprinkle with parsley.