These 5 easy Italian hors d oeuvres for Columbus Day will allow you to enjoy the long weekend with friends without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Since Columbus Day can be a great time of year to be outside enjoying the fall weather, you can throw these together and not miss anything. These hor d oeuvres showcase Italian cooking that is full of flavor and rich spices, combined with fresh vegetables and great cheeses.
Easy Italian Tuscan Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 scallions, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix together all ingredients except mushrooms.
- Place mushrooms cavity side up on a baking sheet. Spoon filling into each mushrooms.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with basil.
Easy Italian Tomatoes and Mozzarella
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 7 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and julienned
- crushed red pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, mix parsley, basil, oregano, garlic and oil.
- On a serving platter, arrange tomatoes and mozzarella in alternating layers. Top with roasted red pepper. Drizzle with herb and oil mixture.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes before sprinkling with red pepper.
Easy Italian Crostini
- 1 large French baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (14.5) oz can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (2.25) oz. can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 12 small slices fontina cheese
- Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake for eight to ten minutes at 350 degrees. Turn once.
- Combine tomatoes, olives, parsley, vinegar, oil and red pepper.
- Place one cheese slice on each baguette. Return to oven. Bake two to three minutes, until cheese melts.
- Top each with one tbsp of tomato mixture.
Cantaloupe and Ham Hors D oeuvres for Columbus Day
- 1 cantaloupe
- 6 oz. prosciutto
- Clean cantaloupe and slice lengthwise into eight pieces. Remove skin.
- Place cantaloupe on a serving dish and ham on another.
- Chill before serving.
- Serve a couple of slices of ham with each cantaloupe slice.
Easy Italian Feta Triangle Hors D Oeuvres for Columbus Day
- 1 8 oz sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 oz. feta cheese
- 1 large egg
- Roll puff pastry into twelve inch squares. Cut into nine smaller squares.
- Crumble feta in bowl and add egg. Mix until well combined.
- Put equal amount of mixture into center of each square.
- Fold dough over to form a triangle. Press edges together with fork to seal.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper and place triangles on it.
- Bake in preheated oven for fifteen minutes at 400 degrees.
- Serve warm.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Kung Fu Movies Every Man Should See
From the absolute classics to the so-bad-they're-amazing.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.