These 5 easy Italian hors d oeuvres for Columbus Day will allow you to enjoy the long weekend with friends without spending a lot of time in the kitchen. Since Columbus Day can be a great time of year to be outside enjoying the fall weather, you can throw these together and not miss anything. These hor d oeuvres showcase Italian cooking that is full of flavor and rich spices, combined with fresh vegetables and great cheeses.
Easy Italian Tuscan Mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup diced pitted green olives
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 2 scallions, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned and stemmed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix together all ingredients except mushrooms.
- Place mushrooms cavity side up on a baking sheet. Spoon filling into each mushrooms.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Transfer to serving platter and sprinkle with basil.
Easy Italian Tomatoes and Mozzarella
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 7 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained and julienned
- crushed red pepper to taste
- In medium bowl, mix parsley, basil, oregano, garlic and oil.
- On a serving platter, arrange tomatoes and mozzarella in alternating layers. Top with roasted red pepper. Drizzle with herb and oil mixture.
- Cover and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes before sprinkling with red pepper.
Easy Italian Crostini
- 1 large French baguette, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 (14.5) oz can Italian-style diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (2.25) oz. can sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 12 small slices fontina cheese
- Place bread slices on baking sheet. Bake for eight to ten minutes at 350 degrees. Turn once.
- Combine tomatoes, olives, parsley, vinegar, oil and red pepper.
- Place one cheese slice on each baguette. Return to oven. Bake two to three minutes, until cheese melts.
- Top each with one tbsp of tomato mixture.
Cantaloupe and Ham Hors D oeuvres for Columbus Day
- 1 cantaloupe
- 6 oz. prosciutto
- Clean cantaloupe and slice lengthwise into eight pieces. Remove skin.
- Place cantaloupe on a serving dish and ham on another.
- Chill before serving.
- Serve a couple of slices of ham with each cantaloupe slice.
Easy Italian Feta Triangle Hors D Oeuvres for Columbus Day
- 1 8 oz sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 6 oz. feta cheese
- 1 large egg
- Roll puff pastry into twelve inch squares. Cut into nine smaller squares.
- Crumble feta in bowl and add egg. Mix until well combined.
- Put equal amount of mixture into center of each square.
- Fold dough over to form a triangle. Press edges together with fork to seal.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper and place triangles on it.
- Bake in preheated oven for fifteen minutes at 400 degrees.
- Serve warm.