5 Easy Kwanzaa Recipes
These 5 easy Kwanzaa recipes will give your Kwanzaa feast a traditional look and taste. Since Kwanzaa is a celebration of African American heritage the food for the feast has a wide range of foods from different African cultures. There is a lot of fish and vegetables served along with fresh fruits and legumes. When planning your feast use these easy Kwanzaa recipes for delicious food without a lot of work.
1. Easy Kwanzaa Mashed Sweet Potato Pie
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked, peeled, and mashed
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp each salt, ginger, and nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 cups light cream
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour into pie shell.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 50 minutes.
2. Easy Kwanzaa Collard Greens
- 1 lb collard greens
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup prepared salsa
- 2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinagar
- 1 tbsp salt
- hot sauce to taste
- Wash greens and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Place all ingredients into a large pot and cover. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Greens are done when they have shrunk down and cooked through. About 1/2 hour.
- Serve with the liquid.
3. Easy Fried Okra
- 1 bag frozen cut up okra
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil, or enough to coat the bottom of a frying pan.
- Pour cooking oil into frying pan to about 1/4 inch deep.
- Mix flour and cornmeal and season with salt and pepper.
- Dredge okra in eggs and then in flour and cornmeal.
- Place okra in heated oil on medium heat until golden brown.
4. Cajun Catfish for Kwanzaa
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2-3 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 skinned catfish fillets
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir together pepper, oregano, salt, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and red pepper. Coat each side of fillets with a spoonful of seasoning.
- Place in baking pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Turn fish over and bake for 5 to 8 more minutes.
5. Easy Kwanzaa Cocktail Recipe for Dawa
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 oz vodka
- crushed ice
- 1 whole lime, quartered
- 1 dawa stick, twisted in creamed honey
- Put lime and sugar into a whisky tumbler. Crush limes slightly. Add ice and pour in vodka.
- Add dawa stick to the drink.
- Muddle limes with the stick. The more they are muddled the sweeter the drink.