5 Easy Mardi Gras Recipes
These 5 Mardi Gras recipes will help you celebrate the festival in style. These recipes create an ambience of being in New Orleans, but are simple enough for beginner cooks.
To make Mardi Gras shrimp with onions, you will need:
- 2 lb. shrimp, peeled, tails removed and deveined
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp. garlic, sliced
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium high heat on stove.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add shrimp, lying them flat on one side.
- Cook shrimp for five minutes on each side, or until no longer translucent.
- Flip shrimp to cook other side for same amount of time.
- Remove pan from stovetop and place in serving bowl. Let marinate and cool slightly for ten minutes.
- Serve while still warm, with rice if desired.
To make New Orleans Mardi Gras okra, you will need:
- 1/2 lb. okra, washed
- 1 tbsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Combine olive oil and spices in bowl. Add okra and let marinate for ten minutes.
- Place okra in pan on stove over medium-low heat.
- Stir okra occasionally. Okra will be done when some sides are browned.
- Serve the spicy recipe while still warm.
To make a Louisiana shrimp boil, you will need:
- 2 lb. shrimp, peeled and tails removed
- 6, 1/2 ears of corn
- 1 lb. potatoes, washed and quartered
- 1plus 1 tbsp. cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 plus 2 tbsp. cup Cajun spices
- 12 cups water
- Place shrimp, tbsp. Cajun spices and one tbsp. olive oil in pan on medium-high heat. Cook shrimp until no longer translucent.
- Place remaining ingredients in large pot, bring to boil. Cook for 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp and let boil for another twenty minutes. Test potatoes to make sure they are easily pierced.
- Remove from heat. Drain.
- Serve on large platter while hot. Offer the Cajun dish with butter and extra Cajun spices, if desired.
To make Louisiana slaw, you will need:
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. each salt and chili powder
- 1 jar diced pimentos
- Combine cabbage, onion, green pepper and pimentos in a large bowl.
- In separate bowl combine remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly.
- Pour liquid mixture over cabbage mixture. Combine thoroughly.
- Cover the slaw and let refrigerate for at least three hours.
- Serve the spicy dish cold.
To make Mardi Gras King Cake, you wlll need:
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 3 cans sweet roll dough
- 1 can white frosting
- 1 tsp. each yellow, purple and blue food coloring
- colored sprinkles
- plastic ring and plastic baby
- Mardi Gras King Cake. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Braid the three sweet roll dough and wrap in a circle.
- Bake the cake for one hour.
- Add milk to white frosting to thin it.
- Hide baby and ring in the cake.
- Spread frosting on cake after cake has cooled. Making sure to cover the holes where you hid the baby and ring.
- Use food coloring and sprinkles to decorate the top of the cake.
- Serve the traditional Mardi Gras recipe, celebrating when the ring and cake are found.