Passover food is traditionally simple journey food in memory of the night of the Israelites' Exodus and deliverance from Egypt at God's hand and these five easy Passover hors d'oeuvres recipes honor that tradition. Look for the "kosher for Passover" symbol when buying ingredients for Passover recipes, as this requires a higher standard than everyday kosher cuisine. The simplicity of these easy hors d'oeuvres will save you time amidst your Passover preparations and grace your Seder table with flavors that keep your family asking for more.
- 2 cups matzo meal
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat baking sheet with oil, butter or cooking spray.
- Combine matzo meal, sugar and salt. Add oil and boiling water, stirring well. Let cool.
- Stir in the eggs. Drop tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Bake for one hour or until golden brown.
- 1 matzo cracker
- Hot water
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T vegetable oil
- Break matzo crackers into small pieces and place into a mixing bowl. Soak in hot water for 60 seconds and drain excess.
- Beat in egg, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat oil in skillet. Spread matzo mixture in skillet and brown on both sides.
Ashkenazic Apple Nut Haroset
- 6 peeled apples, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup chopped almonds
- 3 T sugar, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 T sweet red wine
- Matzo crackers
- Peel and chop apples. Chop almonds and mix with apples.
- Stir sugar and cinnamon into apple nut mixture. Grate the lemon zest and add to bowl. Stir well.
- Add sweet red wine to taste. You can leave the mixture coarse and crunchy or use the wine to purée it in the blender. Chill before serving.
- Serve it with matzo crackers and horseradish.
Honey and Feta Spread
- 4 oz-block of feta cheese
- 1 cup honey
- 3 T fresh ground black pepper
- Slice a block of feta cheese into rectangular strips. Arrange in a single layer on plate.
- Drizzle honey over the surface of each strip.
- Grind black pepper and dust the tops.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sliced stuffed green olives
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 ozs. tomato paste
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix eggplant, onion, garlic, green pepper, mushrooms and olive oil. Place in baking dish and cover. Bake for ten minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour in water. Add olives, salt, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, sugar, basil, oregano and pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Chill at least eight hours before serving.