These 5 easy Autumn Equinox recipes can be used to celebrate the harvest or the Mabon. This is the day in September when the day and night are the same length or balanced. It is the last of the harvest holidays and should be filled with food made from fresh fall vegetables and fruits that should be gathered before the winter.
1. Pomegranate Sorbet
- 2 cups pomegranate juice
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 orange
- Mint leaves
- Fresh pomegranate seeds
- Blend all the juices and the sugar in an airtight container. Cover and freeze.
- When frozen break it up into small pieces with a spoon. Re-freeze.
2. Pumpkin Bread
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees.
- Combine flour, spice, baking powder, and salt. Blend
- Compine eggs, sugar, pumkin, and oil and beat until smooth.
- Stir in dry ingredients and then cranberries.
- Spoon into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
3. Garlic Roasted Potatoes and Greens
- 2 lbs red potatoes sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced lengthwise
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 4 cups watercress sprigs
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 450F degrees.
- Mix potatoes, garlic and oil in an oven pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 1 1/4 hours turning every 10-15 minutes.
- Pour vinegar into pan and stir into potatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into a serving bowl and mix in 1/2 of watercress.
- Sprinke chives and rest of watercress over the top.
4. Apple Butter
- 4 quarts apples
- 2 quarts water
- 1 1/2 quarts cider
- 1 1/2 lbs sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cloves
- Slice apples into small bits. Cover with water and boil until soft.
- Press through a sieve to remove skins and seeds.
- Bring cider to a boil and add apple pulp and sugar. Cook until thickened stirring constantly.
- Add spices and cook until thick enough for spreading.
- Pour into sterilized jars and seal.
5. Blackberry Wine
Note: You will need to make this 6 months in advance.
- 3 lbs blackberries
- 3 lbs sugar
- 1 gallon boiling water
- Wash berries and put in large bowl. Pour boiling water over berries.
- Cover and leave for 10 days.
- Strain liquid through muslin and add sugar.
- Mix well. Cover and leave for 3 days stirring daily.
- Put into bottles and cork.
- Wine will be ready in 6 months.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."