5 Easy Recipes For Celebrating Cinco De Mayo
Make these 5 easy recipes for celebrating Cinco de Mayo. Cinco de Mayo is the fifth of May and a time to celebrate Mexican heritage and pride. Celebrating Cinco de Mayo with food is part of the tradition.
If you want to make guacamole when celebrating Cinco de Mayo, you will need:
- 2 avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Tortilla chips
- Put the avocado into a bowl and mash with a fork. Add the other ingredients.
- Taste with a tortilla chip. Add salt if needed. Serve with the tortilla chips.
If you want to make chicken enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo, you will need:
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chilies
- 1 7-ounce can green chili salsa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix the chicken , chilies and salsa together in a bow. In another bowl mix together the cream and salt. Heat oil in a skillet about one inch deep.
- Dip the tortillas, one at a time, in the oil. Put the tortilla in the bowl of cream.
- Take the tortilla out of the cream and fill with the chicken mixture. Roll it up and place in a baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Pour the cream that is left over the enchiladas. Top with cheese. Bake for 25 minutes.
If you want to make charro beans for Cinco de Mayo, you will need:
- 1 pound dried pinto beans
- 10 cups water, divided
- 1 bottle beer
- 6 ounces salt pork, sliced
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Place beans in a pot and cover with six cups water. Soak overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place beans in a colander to drain. Put into a pot. Cover with one bottle of beer and four cups of water. Add the salt pork.
- Turn heat up to high. Once it starts to boil turn it to low. Simmer for one hour.
- Add the peppers, onion, tomatoes, garlic and salt to the pot. Cook for another 90 to 120 minutes, until the beans are tender. Add water as needed.
- Sprinkle with the cilantro. Serve as a side dish.
Cinco de MayoShrimp
If you want to make Cinco de Mayo shrimp when celebrating Cinco de Mayo, you will need:
- 1 pound large shrimp
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 ounces butter, melted
- 1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Devein the shrimp. Butterfly the shrimp and lay them on a baking sheet with the shell side down.
- Put the garlic in a pan and cover with water. Cook over low heat until softened, about 20 minutes. Then chop the garlic.
- Combine the garlic, butter, chiles, cilantro and lime juice. Brush the mixture onto the flattened shrimp. Sprinkle with salt.
- Turn the oven to broil. Put the shrimp under the broil just until they are pink Serve with a drizzle of the leftover butter mixture.
If you want to make sopapillas for dessert on Cinco de Mayo, you will need:
- 1 package puff pasty sheets
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lay a pastry sheet onto a surface that has been dusted with flour. Use only half of the package.
- Cut the sheet into two inch squares. Place on a cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Combine the cinnamon and sugar in a bag. Add the hot sopapillas to the bag and shake to coat with the cinnamon sugar. Serve with honey.