It's the Sabbat of Samhain, so here's 5 easy samhain appetizer recipes. Step outside and feel the chill in the air, appreciate the beautiful colors of the changing autumn leaves, leaving behind the fond memory of summer. There’s a buzz of excitement as we prepare ourselves for the coming holidays.
Feel free to substitute anything you want for this appetizer dish.
- 10 Slices Genoa salami
- 10 Italian meatballs or ham
- 10 Slices Swiss, American, and/or mozzarella cheese
- Celery sticks, olives, chopped peppers
- Peanuts and Pretzels
- 1/2 pd fresh shrimp, deveined and cooked, shells removed.
- Roll each slice of meat into cigar shapes
- Arrange all meats, cheeses, and breadsticks, in a pretty pattern.
South Carolina Style Bed and Breakfast Popovers
The Samhain meal is very significant, if not the most important holiday in Pagan celebrations. These can be made while the roast is resting.
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Tablespoon melted utter
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners
- Whisk eggs, milk, and water together in a small bowl.
- Add butter in a stream whisking the entire time.
- Add flour and salt and whisk until just combined. Dough will be slightly lumpy.
- Drop into cupcake liners in even amounts
- Bake 45 minutes in lower 1/3 of the oven.
- Remove from oven cut ½ inch slit along the top of each popover
- Return to oven to continue baking additional 10 minutes
- Serve immediately with butter and jam
Celebrate the Earth Pumpkin Bread
The time between Samhain and Yule is a favorite time of the year for cooking. The bounty is still plentiful, and the aroma becomes richer and the foods become heartier. Extended deliberate cooking processes leave your home smelling fabulous.
- 2 cups of canned cooked pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup (2 sticks of butter)
- ¾ cup of water
- 4 eggs
- 3 ¾ cup of flour
- 2 ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg grated
- 2 or 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups of raisins
- 2 cups of walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Blend pumpkin, butter, water, sugar, and eggs until well beaten.
- In a separate bowl combine all dry ingredients (except raisins and nuts) .
- Add pumpkin mixture to dry ingredients in small portions, mixing well to combine.
- Stir in raisins and nuts with wooden spoon.
- Grease and flour two loaf pans and add batter to each pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden brown and toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cover with clean tea towel; let bread to rest in pans for 1 hour. Turn out onto wire cooling rack and allow bread to continue to cool completely.
- Slice with bread knife. Bread can be served as is or spread with butter.
Family Favorite Zucchini Parmesan
The menu offered for Samhain is different than the usual due to the symbolic nature of Samhain feast.
- 3 zucchini peeled and cut into lengthwise strips
- 1 Tablespoon of butter
- 2 or 3 Tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
- Boil zucchini in salted water for until tender (approximately 5 minutes)
- Put colander in sink and drain salted water completely from zucchini.
- Return zucchini to the pot.
- Add butter toss until melted
- Add parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Chocolate Cookie Graveyard Dessert
The American tradition of dressing up for Halloween comes from the Pagan ritual of dressing up to attract the qualities you want to bring for yourself for the New Year.
- 3 cups of cold milk
- 2 packages of chocolate instant pudding mix
- 1 tub of whipped topping, divided
- 1 package of miniature Oreo cookies
- Pepperidge Farm Milano Cookies as tombstones
- Nutter Butter Cookies as ghosts
- Combine milk and pudding mixes whisk for 2 minutes until well blended
- Gently stir in ½ of the whipped topping and ½ of the cookies
- Spread evenly into 13 x 9 inch pan
- Cover the top with remaining whipped topping
- Refrigerate at least one hour
- Use Pepperidge Cookies as tombstones.
- Use Nutter Butter Cookies as ghosts
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...